Beat This! - July 29-30, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
:guillotine:

I voted for @Primz ... basically what it came down to was I really liked the percussion sounds, the arpeggiated sound. But what I particularly liked was how it's quite a slow feeling beat, so to make the minimal percussion work how it did I think takes under recognised or underappreciated skill. And I really liked how the bass swell, seemed to add a depth to the arpeggio. I wasn't as keen on the sci-fi whine sound, nothing to do with how it was played or mixed, just felt maybe I wanted something else there.

It was between him and... @thangman ... had a real tough time deciding between you 2, I feel like slyly I was being manipulated by this hot gorgeous heat we had today, the weather and the beat were going hand in hand, which was the same for @guitardep who's beat ironically was called Sun Beach. I proper chilled to both of your tracks. I ended up picking Primz beat, because I quite liked the arpeggio and how he worked the slowness well, I also felt it sounded slightly experimenty and I thought it may have less chance of getting recognition but hey

@TACTIK was also in my shortlist, really love how he worked that whistle, and ironically like @Fade mentioned, I initially thought it may have been an unsubbed GoodBadUgly beat, realised it wasn't i think, but really dug it.

@DaHomie really loved this too. Got nice bounce to it.

@nottr reaaally loved this - it's funny 'cause it had a sense of familiarity, but it's only when I saw the song title that I remembered where from.

THE ABOVE all formed my "shortlist"

I really loved @Pappas Beats track too, but the bassline reminds me of something, and I can't remember what. Commercial trakc? One of mine? no idea, it feels familiar. I really like it tho. Kinda shit i'd listen to. (not accusing him of deezing btw)

@Vossi Beats bruhhh, what a beat. When I heard someone mention middle-eastern and a certain instrument that i knew i ain't used i thought sheeeit, when I heard it, this feeling was reconfirmed. Proper like this beat. Definitely gotta talk to you about it, pick your brains about it. Reminded me of @YannFer "Mumbay Shit", so i was shocked when I saw YannFer say he ain't enter. (I also picked Yann's brain on his beat too!)

A lot of others I really liked, most in fact. So don't bum if I left you out - I probably thought your ish was dope!

If anyone want feedback on their's as usual, lemme know.

Good work ILLfam
Thanx for the vote bro :) i was really just trying something new. Im always doing trap and figured if i learned how to do different sounds it would help when i go back to my own style. Same thing with what i did with warzone, some of that dancehall feel. I knew it wouldnt make it far but the experiance was what i really needed. Watch this space when i combine all i have learnt on the next battle :)

@ArvinArmani Watch those levels! This was dope. I can hear this in a movie.
@crog85 Your beat makes me watch to snort coke now. Thanks! :clown:
@crudeking I liked how yours was like a slow moving beat. Kind of hypnotic.
@DaHomie Yours was close but I just wish you did more with it. That sample was killer though.
@D-c.o.p This had an island feel to it which is good but I wanted more of a Hip Hop feel.
@Dsensei Loved it. Nice vibe on this one.
@Fury Beats Was this inspired by Eazy Duz It? That was dope.
@guitardep I liked it. I just wish the guitar was more prominent. It sounds like it's chilling in the back.
@GuttaTennekey This was a heavy deep beat. Like some horror movie shit. For me I just think the highs were a bit too in the high range.
@huggyHG This was different but what I liked was the overall mix. You had lots of things going on in the mix. That long tone freaked me out though. Don't do that during a pandemic!
@Iron Keys *cough* *cough* Any complaints now? :woot:
@joemonco This is the one I'd like to hear without the vocal snippets. That plus if you add a dope bassline, you're good to go.
@KiloOnTheBeat Dope. This is the type that would sound great with a rapper on top.
@Lightbackdrew Nicely done. Mix is dope. Multiple guitars panned. :D
@MagicisHappenin The mix is dope. I think the beat could use a better melody. Bassline is the standout for me.
@Memento Beats Hype! I want to punch something right now.
@nako21 I really like the mix on this. Church bells make me want to work out.
@nottr This was really smooth. It sounds like some vocals in the back maybe? Choir of some sort? Or is that just some strings? Either way, bring that up front more!
@Pappas Beats Hey Grandpa, that saw is dope. I think if you had either something on top or a rapper it would be even better.
@PhazeLark I'm feeling that low end bongo thing. It makes the track hype. Good job on the mix.
@Primz Smooth as my ballsack. Nuff said.
@prod.bysicksiah The piano is dope, the drums tight, good low end. Maybe just a little something to compliment the piano would have put you up there.
@sergiokasmin This is the only one that was off for me. That mix was super loud! Be careful with those limiters!
@Silentz Don't sweat it man. Yours was one of my favourite just because of the cuts!
@skidflow I was rooting for this one because when those warped keys came in I was like :cool:. This is a summer night time beat if you're stoned.
@TACTIK Was this a variation of the Good Bad Ugly theme? I'm picturing myself riding into town with my posse at the local watering hole.
@thangman What was cool with yours was the melody but I kept thinking how dope it would be if you had some hard drums on it instead.
@TjombaBeats Slow and methodical. I like it. This is a borderline horror movie beat.
@Vossi Beats Very good mix. I'm not a fan of the middle eastern vibe but it has a solid sound. I just wish it was more of a Hip Hop vibe.
Thank you @Fade , once again i was trying something new hahahahaha

I voted for @Primz ... basically what it came down to was I really liked the percussion sounds, the arpeggiated sound. But what I particularly liked was how it's quite a slow feeling beat, so to make the minimal percussion work how it did I think takes under recognised or underappreciated skill. And I really liked how the bass swell, seemed to add a depth to the arpeggio. I wasn't as keen on the sci-fi whine sound, nothing to do with how it was played or mixed, just felt maybe I wanted something else there.

It was between him and... @thangman ... had a real tough time deciding between you 2, I feel like slyly I was being manipulated by this hot gorgeous heat we had today, the weather and the beat were going hand in hand, which was the same for @guitardep who's beat ironically was called Sun Beach. I proper chilled to both of your tracks. I ended up picking Primz beat, because I quite liked the arpeggio and how he worked the slowness well, I also felt it sounded slightly experimenty and I thought it may have less chance of getting recognition but hey

@TACTIK was also in my shortlist, really love how he worked that whistle, and ironically like @Fade mentioned, I initially thought it may have been an unsubbed GoodBadUgly beat, realised it wasn't i think, but really dug it.

@nottr reaaally loved this - it's funny 'cause it had a sense of familiarity, but it's only when I saw the song title that I remembered where from.

I really loved @Pappas Beats track too, but the bassline reminds me of something, and I can't remember what. Commercial trakc? One of mine? no idea, it feels familiar. I really like it tho. Kinda shit i'd listen to. (not accusing him of deezing btw)

@Vossi Beats bruhhh, what a beat. When I heard someone mention middle-eastern and a certain instrument that i knew i ain't used i thought sheeeit, when I heard it, this feeling was reconfirmed. Proper like this beat. Definitely gotta talk to you about it, pick your brains about it. Reminded me of @YannFer "Mumbay Shit", so i was shocked when I saw YannFer say he ain't enter. (I also picked Yann's brain on his beat too!)

A lot of others I really liked, most in fact. So don't bum if I left you out - I probably thought your ish was dope!

Good work ILLfam
and why you out here making beats like my favorite producer scott storch lol loved it man. MAde me remember the days when i onlydid his style beats

Good work ILLfam

Cheers man! For the record, it's well worth sampling- Cheb Hasni... Part of my southern French/North African project(My Dad's side of the family is from Marseille in France). I hadn't expected much from this comp as technically the beat of mine isn't up there. But the vibes fro that keyboard are sick!

Or you can download/stream the full version of 'beacoup des arabes' below

Thanks again @Fade . Big props to @crog85 . @Vossi Beats i too would like to pick your brains on this. @Lightbackdrew enjoyed yours too-hadn't realised it was gary clark jr @ the time. @Primz someone said it previously and i agree, the percussion was lush but i held back on account of the synth, even though it was in for only a fraction of a bar.
@MagicisHappenin hilariously abstract for the beat battle but it guess there are no rules. Personally enjoyed it-i'm a veteran of the electronic scene in Manchester England(in a previous life)-this wouldn't have been out of place in the 90s Hacienda scene.
@nako21 this had me bouncin', good work!
Other shout outs to @Dsensei @GuttaTennekey @Silentz @TACTIK got my attention!

Respect to everyone for taking the opportunity to work on their craft and share.

Looking forward to getting back to my pad tonight to get stuck into something new!

Slan

Cheers man! For the record, it's well worth sampling- Cheb Hasni... Part of my southern French/North African project(My Dad's side of the family is from Marseille in France). I hadn't expected much from this comp as technically the beat of mine isn't up there. But the vibes fro that keyboard are sick!

Thanks again @Fade . Big props to @crog85 . @Vossi Beats i too would like to pick your brains on this. @Lightbackdrew enjoyed yours too-hadn't realised it was gary clark jr @ the time. @Primz someone said it previously and i agree, the percussion was lush but i held back on account of the synth, even though it was in for only a fraction of a bar.
@MagicisHappenin hilariously abstract for the beat battle but it guess there are no rules. Personally enjoyed it-i'm a veteran of the electronic scene in Manchester England(in a previous life)-this wouldn't have been out of place in the 90s Hacienda scene.
Other shout outs to @Dsensei @GuttaTennekey @Silentz got my attention!

Respect to everyone for taking the opportunity to work on their craft and share.

Looking forward to getting back to my pad tonight to get stuck into something new!

Slan

Thanx man, i have been doing some work with Synthwave lately @Fade remember im trying to integrate trap into and rnb with this. Being so inspired by daft punk lately.

Other shout outs to @Dsensei @GuttaTennekey @Silentz @TACTIK got my attention!

Slan

lol you will hear my real work soon hahahaha i been on a journey of discovery to make a new genre lol

I've had a wee eye on you man! I see your work don't worry-came off as a little dismissive in my previous message apologies. all about pushing the boundaries and experimenting, i respect that!
no worries man lol i didnt take any offense at all. I love the critical nature of the forum. The synth did feel like it fit, i should have maybe put as a background sound. Like a pad or something. Got a new track im cooking right now called ; Bitches gonna call me god.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
Remember the Rock theme? Who could forget! With those classic hits like "Pappas Beats isnt rappy enough" and "Pappa Just doesnt get it" and "He Just Can't Let It Go, For God's Sake!" and "Oh Grow The Fk Up Man..."

What about a Country Theme?

Or, we could go back to an instrument useage.

Lightbackdrew

LbD...
Battle Points: 47
I'm always up for a flip... Not a big modern country fan, but something old school like Patsy Cline or Slide guitar-ish like Ray Price could be fun and trippy..

Last edited:

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
@Fade My idea for another theme is to pick a movie and flip one of the songs from its soundtrack and then the name of your track would have to be the name of the movie so we'd know how to link the two at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.