Beat This! - June 17-18, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Yooooo!! @2GooD Productions... Congrats on that W.!! Bruh... That shit was bananas... Pure killing fields and blood soaked streets with that one.. Good, good shit, fammo.. @crog85 .. I always like what you bring to the table as far as the trap shit.. Man, your track was ill too.. "Killy" tracks are cool, but it takes some specific talent to make shit like that.. Which is why Stu Bangas and Vanderslice are in a class of their own.. Anyway -- although it wasnt "killy", I enjoyed it because it WASNT killy.. I like grimey ass shit, and you got it with this one..

And to everyone else who entered -- GOOD FUCKIN JOB, GUYS!!! THIS BATTLE WAS DOPE AS HELL!!! (No pun intended)
Thanks man... Im surprised u didnt jump in this one, ive only heard a few of your beats, and it seems your style wouldve fit this theme well... but yea, i wanted to keep this one simple, not manipulate the samples too much, but also make something dark and heavy... with that “horror” vibe... i think i accomplished that

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
i would love to hear some feedback on my beat and what didn't work. if anyone would like to take a look, that'd be great. I thought it was fire as fuck. creative. and very thematic. Just trying to shore up my issues. Thanks IN advance for a]nyone who can help me break the mold. I understand not wanting to help.. I'm the type of motherfucker to take the help and murder the host. haha. Why hand and teach an assassin a new trick.. naw just playing. But, I do want some feedbacks. PWETTY PWEEESE!

Jim B

Battle Points: 7
Well, that went better than I expecting. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was expecting to get laughed out of town!

I only came across the site last week, whilst looking for some tutorials and/or inspiration. I found both here, lots of great content and work. Keep it up!

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Well, that went better than I expecting. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was expecting to get laughed out of town!

I only came across the site last week, whilst looking for some tutorials and/or inspiration. I found both here, lots of great content and work. Keep it up!
no doubt, looking forward to more of your break type drums.

Wow, it's amazing how you guys know each others beats....but doesn't that spoil the fun?

That's a bit scary man and I think it can be a little turn off for new guys because in the rules it is stated that "beats will have numbers and voting will be anonymous", however, it stopped being anonymous quite a long time ago. It results from the thing I described in one of the earlier episodes of ILL Battle Report that most of the time the same guys participate in battles here and the same guys win battles here.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
i would love to hear some feedback on my beat and what didn't work. if anyone would like to take a look, that'd be great. I thought it was fire as fuck. creative. and very thematic. Just trying to shore up my issues. Thanks IN advance for a]nyone who can help me break the mold. I understand not wanting to help.. I'm the type of motherfucker to take the help and murder the host. haha. Why hand and teach an assassin a new trick.. naw just playing. But, I do want some feedbacks. PWETTY PWEEESE!
Here's my feedback. The drums don't really work. I'm talking sound, not pattern. The kick is not hitting tight enough, it sounds like a laser gun. I can't hear a peoper snare hit. And the hihats should be higher frequencies I think. You said you did that with vocal chops, so that makes sense... I'm all for experimentation, so now you know what not to do. And you probabky learnt a great deal trying to achieve that. it's important.

Regarding the melodic parts, that string section is a bit too gimmicky, sometimes it felt more like Pirates of the Caribbean than the Purge. It's very difficult to use orchestral sections in a hip-hop beat. I tried it also because it was a movie theme, but I went another direction 'cause I figured I wasn' t gonna cut it this way... I think that's what @2GooD Productions succeeded where others failed and that's why he took the win.
I liked however the fx and scream sounds you used there.
All in all, just replacing the kick and hats by the real sounds, a snare every other quarter bar. Replace the strings with some lead synth and detune the shit out of it... Mix the drums "in my face", no reverb.
See if it helps.

Edit: oh yeah, the vocal chopping at the beginning was bad. But well, that's not the reason why your beat didn't get my vote.

Last edited:

C4NTK33P5T1LL

I O U a clever tagline signed me
Battle Points: 200
I Didn't Like Ya Drums If That Helps Thought It Was OK But Felt Kind Of Grooveless (Not A Word I Know) I Got More Of A Cinematic Feel From It Than Hip-Hop (Just My Opinion)

@Pappas Beats your beat was good btw - wasn't in my list 'cause it saw it as dubstep. good work tho, brother.

@Primz I really liked your one too. Only reason for not my vote, is I didn't feel fully killy to it - it felt "Crimey" tho which I liked. regardless, liked it.

@StoneLockProd loved yours too. Was getting like SPaghetti Western vibes and Star Wars vibes. Really enjoyed it. Was making me think of certain films/vibes I have associated with other things. top stuff

@thangman cool track, didn't feel killy for me tho. felt like a wholesome happy ending to a film where someone maybe survived a killing tho. really pretty beat tho

@ThE_SiRe_BeAtS sick beat, my guy! Really liked the main part of this. Was getting dope vibes from it - just not killing ones. Seem to love your tracks.

@YannFer my dude... in my short list your track was listed as "trap with bounce" haha bounce is good. liked it
THanx man, i felt the mood of making it like a crime instead. I dnt usually do dark moods. I am Turn up beat typa guy so these are usually out my comfort zones hahaha

KongoRampoozy

Battle Points: 6
Congrats @2GooD Productions! Got my vote! I took a risk with the EDM I shall be returning to hip hop for future battles! Although it has tweaked my interest in producing more EDM, just won't showcase it on here :)

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
That's a bit scary man and I think it can be a little turn off for new guys because in the rules it is stated that "beats will have numbers and voting will be anonymous", however, it stopped being anonymous quite a long time ago. It results from the thing I described in one of the earlier episodes of ILL Battle Report that most of the time the same guys participate in battles here and the same guys win battles here.
There is more truth in that than you know. I haven't even been here a year and I can right away tell quite a few peoples work before they are ever named... so I doubt there is much anonymity for the long time guys

There is more truth in that than you know. I haven't even been here a year and I can right away tell quite a few peoples work before they are ever named... so I doubt there is much anonymity for the long time guys
the only people I can recognise is crog and Memento, the rest is guess work

PS. Yes, it is a turn off
why?

I dont think it is always the same people, I havent won one of these in a while now. And we have some very talented new members. I think the bar is constantly rising yes, dont let that put you off, let it inspire you.
We are our worst enemies sometimes, especially when our ego takes a kick in, but its that that will mature you as an artist.

Just look at the list, lots of different names there

Last edited:

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
it litterally makes me think "I just need to find a certain type of beat, thats it, nothing else... rehash it and bam."

I like a lot of different sounds though.. orchestral type shit, trap, boom bap, EDM, and even Dubstep. Maybe I should save that shit for myself. Find a solid trap line and rinse repeat for battles.

I am sorry this is sounding sour grapes and I am not going for that.

it litterally makes me think "I just need to find a certain type of beat, thats it, nothing else... rehash it and bam."

I like a lot of different sounds though.. orchestral type shit, trap, boom bap, EDM, and even Dubstep. Maybe I should save that shit for myself. Find a solid trap line and rinse repeat for battles.

I am sorry this is sounding sour grapes and I am not going for that.
I dont think it sounds like sour grapes, you do have 44 points, so just keep striving to be better every day and you will win, believe me, I never used to win any of these. I think it took me about 2 years to win my first beat this, and it was against some serious opposition too, which made the win even more sweet to me

Status
Not open for further replies.