Beat This! - June 3-4, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
or rather, not the ability to do it, but the ability to stay awake when i do it.
there is complexity in boom bap, but it often goes under the radar, its much more subtle, but the hypnotic nature of a basic repetitive loop cannot be underestimated and the subtle variations that keep a basic loop interesting throughout the length of a song can be challenging given how little you have to work with sometimes. Give boom bap a little bit more time, get to understand the complexities that may not be apparent at first glance, you will thank me for it later.

Enemy Sounds

Boom Bapper
Battle Points: 68
Just going through these now, trying to put some names to them.
Honorable mentions:
@Focuskind Havent seen you before and I usually hate choppy flips but you did a great job, really liked your flip.

@SwayeeBoogie That snare is something else, dope flip, real classic feel.

@crog85 Thought that was you man, I really like your style, you trapped the fuck out of that sample, great job.

@crosstevsky nice flip man, I enjoyed this one, has an authentic oldskool vibe to it.

@Cyents enjoyed this one too, I think its maybe a little too subtle to be appreciated, but I appreciated it.

@geezytwoeleven I loved this one, I like the worm synth in there too, nice touch.

@JodyKurtis I liked the use of the Guru sample and the reversed samples was dope as fuck, on some Dilla shit.

@Primz I think you did a good job of making a trap style flip out of this even if you kept the classic tempo. Nice flip, the scratches are a nice touch.

@TACTIK this is a real dope flip, smooth as hell, nice drums

@YannFer I really enjoyed this one, there is a lot going on but it works. Very topical too. Great work man.

Preciate you, fammo.. Yeah, I figure sometimes the subtleness in tracks are what make them classic.. When Premo did "NY STATE OF MIND", it was 2 samples, and 3 drum sounds: classic.. When Pete Rock did "T.R.O.Y.", it was the sample, filtered bassline, and 3 drum sounds: classic.. When RZA did "C.R.E.A.M.", it was a small sample chop which made the loop, and drums: classic.. Now Im not in ANY WAY comparing myself to those cats, but Ive learned sometimes subtle and simple works the best for emcees to rock on.. And being an emcee myself early on, I kinda know what Im talkin about.. Everytime I make a track, Im always thinkin "how would an emcee rock to this?" "WOULD an emcee rock to this?".. But thanks for the love, brotha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online