Beat This! - May 20-21, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So better be prepared for more "shouting" ... smh...
Listen, I say this as a friend, your mixes are TOO loud. Its good having a loud mix but there is a point where the level of distortion and loudness makes it taxing for people to listen to. When people say your song is "screaming" this is what they are trying to get across, but I dont think you are listening. Ive subtly tried to persuade you to tone the level down a bit but I didnt get anywhere last time so Im going to be a bit more blunt about it, its for your own fucking good hahahahahaha
I thought you had this one in the bag, but it was really a boom bap crowd, even if a trap beat won. If your beat wasnt so loud you could have had this one IMO.

Beatmaker88

Battle Points: 24
@Beatmaker88 I'm just like you man. I'm here to get heard and see how good I am, just like you. in fact I really appreciate it if people shit on my beats more. some people are probably afraid to run beatmakers off or be doucheknobs or something, so they get too nice when it comes to feedback. I mean yea, Of course my synth sounds good, of course the drums are workin, I busted my ass to make those, ok. so what is it that isn't working? why didn't I win? if everythin sounds so good then why does my beat suck? get my point? :D
Constructive criticism is one thing, just flat out saying someone's beat is trash is another, I also understand there's a bit of favortism towards dedicated members of this site, and a soul focus on a particular sound, and from producer to beatmaker, your supposed to support different not cater to the same sample driven, beats full of loops and presets, just because the kick and the bass hit hard, I just hear music different then you guys but that's not a bad thing, but you guys make it seem like it is.

It's just that If all beatmakers have an angry side and a sad side, I feel like you're always angry :D . Just sayin that your beats sound better when you ain't yelling dude. so I'ma just sit and wait for the day you find your chill pills or something idk :D

Said a guy who submitted a beat to the last Beat This that was too loud even for me... XDDD Stop talking shit. As I said I don't care about your opinion. ;)

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
@Beatmaker88 I'm just like you man. I'm here to get heard and see how good I am, just like you. in fact I really appreciate it if people shit on my beats more. some people are probably afraid to run beatmakers off or be doucheknobs or something, so they get too nice when it comes to feedback. I mean yea, Of course my synth sounds good, of course the drums are workin, I busted my ass to make those, ok. so what is it that isn't working? why didn't I win? if everythin sounds so good then why does my beat suck? get my point? :D

I think that's a danger here... thinking that 'cause you didn't win something must inherently 'suck' about your beat.

I think often it's far from the case. Look how many people had different ideas of what was hot.

It depends how people vote too... how many listens before they decide?

You gotta be careful about who you taking advice from too... for example if you're taking the ears of 5 boombap guys who don't listen/make/appreciate trap, you can be getting (respectfully) non-relevant feedback. Similarly if Señor Boombapster is getting feedback from Drillgangsta2020 they might just be getting told their beat sound outdated or whatever.

I think there's a clear formula here to winning these battles, it depends if you wanna play that game, or what you're trying to acheive.

I think that's a danger here... thinking that 'cause you didn't win something must inherently 'suck' about your beat.

I think often it's far from the case. Look how many people had different ideas of what was hot.

It depends how people vote too... how many listens before they decide?

You gotta be careful about who you taking advice from too... for example if you're taking the ears of 5 boombap guys who don't listen/make/appreciate trap, you can be getting (respectfully) non-relevant feedback. Similarly if Señor Boombapster is getting feedback from Drillgangsta2020 they might just be getting told their beat sound outdated or whatever.

I think there's a clear formula here to winning these battles, it depends if you wanna play that game, or what you're trying to acheive.
I think you are bang on the money here, it becomes a choice of do you want to win, or do you want to make the music you like.
There are guidelines to winning battles, they might not always work out, but they are a good starting point to win battles. Aggression and hardness and a dark vibe can work really well in a battle, you could have the best lofi beat going, but will it win in a battle, it could do, but what is the probability of it? Some styles of music are suited to battling, others are not. And if you dont make the style that is, then you are naturally lowering your chances of winning.

The bottom line is that these things are totally subjective and at the mercy of those that vote. You can try to improve your chances by making a more aggressive beat or you can carry on doing you and lowering your chances. Neither is wrong.
Believing in yourself and always striving to make better music everyday is the goal of all of us, whether we win beat battles or not.

For example, i was getting a bit bummed that my beat didn't get a mention... but crosstevsky hit me with some feedback that matched exactly what i was trying to achieve.

So sometimes it's more important to discover you achieved your intent.
Man I thought i was in with a chance, a contender, but I didnt even place hahahaha
But I achieved what I was going for with my beat, so to me it was a big success, the battle doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things, I did the best miltary snares Ive ever done on that beat, to me thats a huge success and I learned something very important about velocities on snare drums

@Iron Keys @2GooD Productions My point is that no beat is perfect except for Dead presidents, Shook ones, it was a good day and C.R.E.A.M. those motherfuckers can't be any better than that. but we're not Ski, Havoc, Dj pooh or Rza, so we can always improve on the objective side. besides that, You know things that I don't and I know things that you don't. or at least there's a slight chance that you don't know what I know or vice versa. so it'd be a favor to point those out. one of the ways of pointing those out is sayin "Hey, your beat sucks". we all know music is subjective and all that, so for instance if a 16 year old doucheknob says your beat sucks, it means he just has a different view and didn't expect to have to get buried in shit for 360 consecutive messages just for 1 message :D :D it's cool tho. bu the point is, when a douche says douche shit, you can learn from that. besides the fact that you can learn from Anything really and even animals can teach you stuff, You should take that as an opportunity to learn, because someone is being bold and ready to point things out for you anytime.

Btw I'm not sayin this in means of makin my ass look good or be passive aggressive or somethin AT ALL, in fact to make myself look better I should just shut up, but I'm too curios to keep this to myself so I'ma spill it. Ain't we being too... sensitive maybe? doesn't this remind you of the new hollywood political correction policies that ruined everything? I'm not saying it's the same thing or the same degree at all, we're really free at illmuzik to do almost anything, I acknowledge and appreciate that on it's every single layer and level but I'm just sayin that it just reminded me of that. maybe hollywood was like illmuzik back then, then some people started to be too sensitive or smth and it turned to the fuckup that it is right now. nah?

@ArvinArmani Maybe I am being overly sensitive, I would be first to admit it. But Ive been here for many years on and off, and maybe Im just loving the way its been like the old days. I just want it to continue, Im not thinking of my sensitive feelings, I dont have them, Im thinking about keeping this place alive and thriving.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
@Beatmaker88 How can you say there's favoritism? All the battles are anonymous!

I'm assuming a lot of us have habits, whether that's musical, sonic, etc that can give us away... and regulars have probably got a good recognition of eachother's sounds and habits.

I've only been back what, a week? And starting to recognise certain peoples vibes.

Not saying there necessarily *is*, but I've seen dudes sayinf "i knew that was your beat" etc.

People should just try see it as a bit of fun. Unless Fade start handing out IllGrammys... :woot:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sure, there's probably some beats the regulars can figure out whose it is, but I don't see how that's even an issue anyway. It's still a guessing game when voting. I just don't understand why every battle there's people that get pissed off with their placing. Especially when we have something like Beat This and there's over 25 contestants! It's hard to win that.

I just don't want to get to the point where anyone is asking for attendance trophies to be handed out.

Sure, there's probably some beats the regulars can figure out whose it is, but I don't see how that's even an issue anyway. It's still a guessing game when voting. I just don't understand why every battle there's people that get pissed off with their placing. Especially when we have something like Beat This and there's over 25 contestants! It's hard to win that.

I just don't want to get to the point where anyone is asking for attendance trophies to be handed out.
its only for points for fucks sake, sometimes you would think the winner got a record deal by how seriously people take it.

Lightbackdrew

LbD...
Battle Points: 47
Hey - I'm pretty new to the site and definitely still learning. I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on the beat I submitted. Looking to learn from the crew and get better.... thanks

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
@ArvinArmani I think what people are trying to say is this... Dont act like this is a video game and trash on a dude cause ya head shot em with a "You suck at life go off yourself" Be a little more constructive than an ass about it. Im not soft, say whatever the fuck ya want to me and I will be back tomorrow with more trash ass music until it isn't, but when people put time in, I can see people taking it 'Personally" and that makes it an issue. I think this is self explanatory and now you can trash on this simple explination.

@Memento Beats , yeah, your beat was fire, like always bro.. I assumed was the winner, or @DEEZ BEATZ beat, man that shit was good.. but I am with some of the others on the loudness of it. And I 100% agree, fuck being able to rap to it, I will make a rap beat for a rapper when there's a rapper to rap to it, until then its a BEAT, not a rap. Its about my skill making it (or lack thereof) not some imaginary rapper.

And as 2good said, you got a punchers chance here depending on who's voting and what style they like... I will be bringing trap because I gotta get better at it and I have sucked at everything else so far! :cool:

And I want a fucking participation trophy @Fade! shit just put a happy face next to my beat or a handicapped sign, either will work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.