Beat This! - September 9-10, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from September 9-10th! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on September 9th at 12pm ET (New York), and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme). Voting will be for one day, on September 10th, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/?cat=bthis

*Note: check out https://time.is/ to find out the correct time difference for your timezone.

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: NO DRUMS
Time Limit: 2 minutes
Vocal Track Allowed?: YES
  • Your beat CANNOT have drums in it!
  • This means anything that would be on a drum set: kick, snare, toms, cymbals, hats, etc.
  • NO BEATBOXING. No 808. No drum machine, no nothing!
  • Basically, no percussion whatsoever.
  • If you're still not sure, check the full list of what's on a drum set: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_kit
===========
*NOTE: From now on there's a criteria called "vocal track allowed?". It will be yes or no. If it's "yes", this means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example). You can still have occasional vocal snippets (but don't rely on them too much).
===========

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favouritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2020090910.jpg

Last edited:
:guillotine:
NO DRUMS
:this:

Mister @Fade has spoken. :micdrop::shotsfired:

I understand no drums. All I want to know is whether I can use any bass at all? And if I can then why 808 bass should be excluded from this? And I don't even want to know it for me because it's not a problem for me to make a beat without drums or 808. I just want clarification. Fade provided a link to the wikipedia article to go to in case of any doubts but there is no mention of 808. So...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
I understand no drums. All I want to know is whether I can use any bass at all? And if I can then why 808 bass should be excluded from this? And I don't even want to know it for me because it's not a problem for me to make a beat without drums or 808. I just want clarification. Fade provided a link to the wikipedia article to go to in case of any doubts but there is no mention of 808. So...

Because 808 is a Bass Drum.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The purpose is to make a straight up melody. No rhythm track. I mean, you could make your beat with drums but when you're ready to export your mix, mute the drums and there's your "beat".

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
Battle Points: 135
I get it, last thing @Fade what about a massive timpany, orchestral bass, orchestral crash cymbals, and suspended cymbal swells? Those are all percussion instruments. I wouldn't use them to make a beat or rythmn, but instead use them as an accent now and then ever 8 bars or so. Let me know. Sorry people keep bombarding you

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
I get it, last thing @Fade what about a massive timpany, orchestral bass, orchestral crash cymbals, and suspended cymbal swells? Those are all percussion instruments. I wouldn't use them to make a beat or rythmn, but instead use them as an accent now and then ever 8 bars or so. Let me know. Sorry people keep bombarding you

NO!

Fade sharpening his machete for anyone using percussive, non melodic, not pitched parts.

Or maybe he'll leave it jagged and rusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.