How long does it take for Production on a Track

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think as u get better ur able to producer better beats in a short space of time, if ur just starting out learning how to make beats u likely wont be making bangers in 10 mins.

but after uve been producing for like 10 years and ur used to all ur equipment u become able to trun out high quality stuff in a short space of time.

like i heard dilla used to have 8 minute beat contests where u had to pick a record and make ur shit in 8 mins and shit would still b fire.

I know madlib is similar dude make albums in a day, and do beats in 10 mins and everyone has seen beat videos knows that these things r made quick, it just takes time to develop ur beat making instinct but at the beginning ur better off using the quality over quantity but as u improve ur probably get faster too.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
I know madlib is similar dude make albums in a day, and do beats in 10 mins and everyone has seen beat videos knows that these things r made quick, it just takes time to develop ur beat making instinct but at the beginning ur better off using the quality over quantity but as u improve ur probably get faster too.

word mate....

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Truely to "Produce" a track from start to finish takes a few days.(If you work a 9-5).
This is from creating the beat , recording the artist, then mastering the track.
It could be done in one if everybody is on point but thats rushing it.
After the artists leave I like to go back the next day and retweek the track with fresh ears.
Experiment with drops etc.. then Harbal the thing.Which is the shortest part.
Thats me though.

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"30 minutes top. If i'm not feeling the beat within the first 5-10 minutes.... i trash that and move on to the next one."

I would have to agree with this. I dont trash it but i stop save what i have and move on. It doesnt take to long for me to create the beat and melody but im a tweaker and critical mixer and arranger that aspect takes a bit longer. Generally im done with the actual beat in 30 min or so and then i tweak it arrange it and mix it in another 30-40 min. Sometimes im just on and i bang out track after track. When i did my house/trance cd i banged out almost the entire cd in a night. I got 2 tracks from another producer i worked with. I created a continuous mix of all the tracks the next day and added sound effects and it just needed mastering and it was set. The entire cd was done in like 3 days! Thats rare though lol it only happens once in a while that i go on a marathon like that!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
beat making is a quick process .... producing takes time .... it takes me like 10 - 20 min to make a beat ...but to produce a song ..recording vocaLS, adding drops, mixing, that takes more than day .. usually i track out the song in an hour or two ... do a rough mix just to get a feell .. then sleep on it and do thorough mix the next day... this question is really pointless cuz the time it takes to produce a track has nothing to do with the producer.. it has more to do with how fast the talent that u are working with can get there takes in and how talented they are ... if im working with nyce emcee or singer ... i can do a whole song from scratch in a few hours mixed and evrything ... but wack rappers and people who dont use the mic well and cats who forget there lines and shit and dont listen or take criticism well, that takes forever and a day to get a song done... ... but making beats ... thats the easy part of it 4 sho..

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yep

Ash Holmz said:
beat making is a quick process .... producing takes time .... it takes me like 10 - 20 min to make a beat ...but to produce a song ..recording vocaLS, adding drops, mixing, that takes more than day .. usually i track out the song in an hour or two ... do a rough mix just to get a feell .. then sleep on it and do thorough mix the next day... this question is really pointless cuz the time it takes to produce a track has nothing to do with the producer.. it has more to do with how fast the talent that u are working with can get there takes in and how talented they are ... if im working with nyce emcee or singer ... i can do a whole song from scratch in a few hours mixed and evrything ... but wack rappers and people who dont use the mic well and cats who forget there lines and shit and dont listen or take criticism well, that takes forever and a day to get a song done... ... but making beats ... thats the easy part of it 4 sho..

Ditto like a mutha

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Ash Holmz said:
... if im working with nyce emcee or singer ... i can do a whole song from scratch in a few hours mixed and evrything ... but wack rappers and people who dont use the mic well and cats who forget there lines and shit and dont listen or take criticism well, that takes forever and a day to get a song done... ... but making beats ... thats the easy part of it 4 sho..
damn.... can I hear a Amen!!!!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
case in point .. my friend tells me about this singer .. she can do dancehall and R&B, so she comes to the studio and we vibe .. i play some of my dancehall and club trax and shes feelin em ... she starts freestylein some sexy shit and im like whoa this is wassup ... then we write a quick hook and she goes in the booth to spit it .... then disaster happens ... this girl does it fine when she outside the booth .. then she steps in the booth and i swear she did the take 100 times and i still didnt hear one take i liked ... ended up calling it a night after awhile ..then she came back in the studio yesterday to work on the same song .. she aint hittin the hook right again... 2 sessions and i still dont have a hook...thats what i mean ... the beat is easy.... putting it all togther sometimes is like pullin teeth ... other artist i have come through need one take, one adlib, and there out 20 minutes later... couldnt keep em there longer if u tried .. thats the difference..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^ Word case and point right there. I hate when people get what I call "Red Light Syndrome".
They are on fire until the red light on the recorder comes on... then its over...
I tell them Im not recording just run through it a couple of times then Ill record all the while recording. Thats worked well in the past..

New Dynasty

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Its takes a few days for me. Depending on how complex I want it to be. If its a very simple beat 4 to 5 hours. If its something that I want to sound as close to perfect as my definition can get, it takes 4 to 5 days. I have a beat that im still creating that has been in the works for about two weeks. (Chopping one of Beethovens' symphonys takes work!!!)

LILW

ill o.g.
thedreampolice said:
Jazze never spends more than 8 minutes making a beat.

that's totally hard to believe. 8 Minutes?!! Yeah a beat doesn't take that much time to put together but that's fucking crazy LMFAO.

OffSet

HIpHOP
ill o.g.
On that last note by" TKNK"! I have to agree with him, cause i never put myself on clock when it come to making a beat or track of any kind of music. i just do it with no thought to the world on to the sounds of my music. and just to let you know not all of the producer in the industry make beats daily! like the neptunes only when thier workingwith someone do they creat a track.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
LILW said:
that's totally hard to believe. 8 Minutes?!! Yeah a beat doesn't take that much time to put together but that's fucking crazy LMFAO.

not that hard, actually... that's having the right presets, man!

Hitz_Production

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
it varies for me...some times 15 mins to lay down a SICK track.. and sometimes is a month and I come out with 4 different versions of a beat, with 5 different mixes apiece...lol!

and then the beat blocks.. i'm usually blocked 4 about a month, but when i come out, I change my whole style.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
LILW said:

have you heard jazze's beats? his latest stuff has been striaght loops with a couple synths/whistles and thats it...