How long does it take for Production on a Track

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Dre is arguably the best producer ever and he takes a long ass time on his beats, why do you think he's so much more successful? I don't consider a simple melody and drums set to loop for 5 minutes a beat which seems to be fine with a lot of you.

damn,,thats pretty critical,,"some of you",,,maybe you should of entered the Battle That to solidify your comments b.

O

open mind

I don't think anyone can make a great beat in 20 minutes, there's not enough time to pan, master, eq, compress and get levels right along with your melody and backup instruments and arrangement. Everyone that said they make beats in less than 30 minutes are also people who have very bland and repetitive sounding beats on their myspaces and soundclicks. Dre is arguably the best producer ever and he takes a long ass time on his beats, why do you think he's so much more successful? I don't consider a simple melody and drums set to loop for 5 minutes a beat which seems to be fine with a lot of you.

uuuuuuuuhm sorry but dre makes exactly the same thing. he loops! of course he perfected it.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was referring to adding changeups and progression which is part of basic music theory. I'm not saying you can't loop at all, I'm saying taking 1 bar and looping it is a lame beat. If you want to prove me wrong make a video of you making a hot beat start to finish in 30 minutes or less.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I was referring to adding changeups and progression which is part of basic music theory. I'm not saying you can't loop at all, I'm saying taking 1 bar and looping it is a lame beat. If you want to prove me wrong make a video of you making a hot beat start to finish in 30 minutes or less.

Who the fuck can make a "hot Beat" start to finish in 30 or less and expect it to be considered "Hot" you can make the general idea of the beat but crafting the entire beat is time consuming. 30 m would not be enough time

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
look....

i can tell you me and my production partner ash holmz have laid out Plenty of HOT beats, from start to finish in under 30 min

now recording and mixing thats another story... but beatwise it can be done it just depends on ur work flow......

We have done that ish with artist sitting right there writing while we created the beat... banged the beat out in 20, tracked it ,recorded and had a finished song under 1hour....

Now this isent always the case but it can be done so wake up....

i strongly urge cats to realise that some people work quicker then others...

Ohh and we aint no "lames" with the tracks either...we got some heat...(for the none belivers ask around)

class...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
personally i dont set a time limit or anything for beats but i tend to work fast .. see the thing is i dont even start making a beat without a vision in mind... if im listenin to a record and hear a dope sample im already choppin it up in my head and have a basic vision of how i want the beat to go .. if im composin usually i just make a melody in head lay it down on keys and just work off it ... if ur working off pure inspiration i dont see how it could take u a long time to make a beat ....... i get "in the zone" and evrything just flows ..... now i personally will just throw away a beat if im taking to long on it .... if i cant quickly lay it down then imo it wont come out hot .. i come from the opposite school of thought ... the longer u take the more ur forcing it ... beats should just flow ... if ive spent like 20-25 minutes and dont even have a basic beat going... usually ill just shut my shit off and go watch tv or something and come back later and start a diffrent idea.. that being said it always helps to have a large large collection of samples ..esp drumz and basslines with u .. thats the part that takes the longest IMO.. is chossing the correct drums sounds and bass tone .... evrything else moves extremly quick with me

these are just my opinions and the way i get down .. im not knocking anybodys approach but its unfair to say that u cant make something hot in 30 minutes... thats ridiculous .. someone mentioned dre .. true.. dre did take a week on a snare for a track .. but dude makes between 5-10 a day on average ... a studio designer that i know of that works with timbaland on ocassion said that he has seen with his own eyes timbo make like 20-25 trax in one day no bullshit.. mad lib made one of his albums in one day..... u cant put evrybody in the same boat cuz evrybody works diffrently and evrybody gets inspired on diffrent levels .. beats are about inspiration.. if u get inspired enough u can make somthing hot in 5 minutes easy ..

class i dont think we ever have spent more than around a half hour on any of the tracks we did together

O

open mind

no doubt u can come up with an idea in sumtin like 30min or waaaaaaaaay more less than that even 5min. but thinking u can "finish" it its an illusion when u add recording,mixing,mastering sessions.

for the workflow it should be better to just straight put ideas make a verse part chorus breaks etc... then dont caring about the mix or master and straight go to the next beat.then it could be possible to make 24 or more beats like timbo in 1 day.

good luck with that crap haha. i personly take my time with a beat befo i go to the next but thats because i got no pressure wich is a luxary in music production.

go independent...

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Who the fuck can make a "hot Beat" start to finish in 30 or less and expect it to be considered "Hot" you can make the general idea of the beat but crafting the entire beat is time consuming. 30 m would not be enough time

yea no shit that was the point of my entire post to point out that nobody can

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
It could be hit or miss but a combination of the right elements put together at the right time can come out hot, this randomness might not take any longer than 15 or 20 minutes, especially if you know the elements you want to use off the break....but see that 2 week beat, looking for the right sounds, loop or sample might take you that long to construct it all....it is completely possible and probably happens more often that a very hot joint is put together in a short amount of time than the 2 or 3 week masterpiece it also depends on your time management and overall productive time you as the producer put in it....I don't like to compare time it takes on making a joint personally, I think its really a minimal factor as opposed to the elements, structure and outcome.

O

open mind

It could be hit or miss but a combination of the right elements put together at the right time can come out hot, this randomness might not take any longer than 15 or 20 minutes, especially if you know the elements you want to use off the break....but see that 2 week beat, looking for the right sounds, loop or sample might take you that long to construct it all....it is completely possible and probably happens more often that a very hot joint is put together in a short amount of time than the 2 or 3 week masterpiece it also depends on your time management and overall productive time you as the producer put in it....I don't like to compare time it takes on making a joint personally, I think its really a minimal factor as opposed to the elements, structure and outcome.

well said.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
big d put it nice .. the only reason i was responding in this thread at all was because u guys were acting like it was IMPOSSIBLE for someone to make a hot beat in 30 minutes .. thats just ridiculous to say that ... thats like sayin no body can run a mile in under 5 minutes or nobody can bench press over 400 pounds or score 60+ points in a basketball game...... it is just a dumb thing to say imo ... do u and pay no attention to how others do their beats .. evrybodys diffrent and works diffrently..... u gotta respect that everybody doesnt do it the way u do it

S

Svenghali

The amount of time it takes you to make a beat and the amount of time that it takes you to complete it are two different things. It takes me anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes to create, sample (if I use one) melody, harmony, bassline, drums will all be in place within that time. Once it's done it can sit there for another two weeks before I even listen to it again. If I hear something that I can add to it drum wise, keys, whatever, I'll do it. If not, I'm on to something else. I don't force the issue. For me it's gotta be natural, organic not contrived. iI been doin' it like Elemtree for years. I work on multiple tracks at a time. Right now, I'm workin' on about 11 tracks simultaneously. This way, I don't force the issue with any of the tracks. Once I complete the set of tracks I'm workin' on, I can go a couple of weeks to a month or more without even fuckin' with beats. I try to keep my mind sharp and expand my horizons, so I'll do that until I get the itch again. That tends to keep the ideas crisp for me.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
yea no shit that was the point of my entire post to point out that nobody can

Do not use me as a crutch in this thread.... you produce the beat and the engineer smooths it out, ash said it, he can make a beat in 20-25 but he didnt state that he was done with it completly more or less the beat is ready to be hit with the vocals and then comes the mastering. A beat is never really done untill its master'd

Svenghali said:
"The amount of time it takes you to make a beat and the amount of time that it takes you to complete it are two different things

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah..it takes me about 2 hours total to do a beat.

I'll work on it for an hour....then move to the next one.......

Then I'll get back to it the next day when my mind is fresh and do it some more......

Dr. Dre is a good producer...

But if you look @ the credits...

He has a team of people to play keyboards, guitars, etc...

To say that he's the best? I don't know about that...In my most humble opinion...

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
My longest beat took 8 years.

Actually I'm about to remake a bunch that I made back in 98 when I first got my ASR-10 keyboard and used my MS-1 Roland Sampler. Those joints were in mono, about 32kHz, and I had like 4 things layered on 1 button cuz it was 4 voice polyphony!

Anyway, some of em were bangers and I'm about to make em again, so

the longest I spent on a beat would probably be like 8 years. Ha.

O

open mind

Yeah..it takes me about 2 hours total to do a beat.

I'll work on it for an hour....then move to the next one.......

Then I'll get back to it the next day when my mind is fresh and do it some more......

Dr. Dre is a good producer...

But if you look @ the credits...

He has a team of people to play keyboards, guitars, etc...

To say that he's the best? I don't know about that...In my most humble opinion...

iam feelin what u say dude about credits and shit but aint that a job to do as a producer? to get the best possible RESULT whatever is needed? i think dre did it and still brings it even if he dont play all his shit on his own.if he is the best is a whole diffrent story theres so much talent in the whole wide world even uknown dudes bring fya but dre def. one of da finest producer in the game.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
You dont have to make the damn beat to be the producer yall. A producer makes the record with a team of musicians and sh__, engineers all that.Barry Gordy didnt make every song he just stood over the top of everyone and said "do it like this..."

And really it should only take like 10 seconds give or take a second to make a beat.
If you want it to sell..Too much thought will ruin it.People dont want to think when they hear music now, they dont want to feel like you thought about it when you made it either..duuhhh.