How long does it take for Production on a Track

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
TKNK said:
What?...Yall actually pay attention to how long it takes to make a track....?
I never log how long it takes me cause im not thinking or even worried about how long it takes,thats not my focus or even a thought will im producing.
Producing for me is like being put in a trance with tunnel vision,where i only see and hear music and have no sense of time.
And i rarely delete or trash tacks cause i know some days i can come back to an uncomplete track and add the perfect melody or sounds to make it unforgettable track and just to think i almost trashed/deleted it.

Also to me a track/beat is never finished or complete...

CO-SIGNED

For real, that whole "he makes x numbers a beat a day", "it takes him n mins to make a beat". It's only puting pressure on yourself and on other producers. I'm sure that a LOT of people are lying with these statistics. When you hear all this, then you start comparing yourself and all that shit.

Personnaly, i really don't care about the time that I spend making beats. And i don't know sometime, cuz some time i'll make some shit and the next day i'm add something again. But i have to say that when you have a sample, it takes 20 mins to get the right loop and chorus together. Then all the extra is timeless, you can spend a lot of time adding this that, eq, etc

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I've spent very little to very long amounts of time on beats. I've spent much more on actually recording it.

When you work with artists who are really particular (and not particularly skilled) it takes them a while to get it right, and since the perfectionism comes into play, it takes even longer. Shit... you know how many artists have gone home with a rough copy and said "I wanna drop this again; I KNOW I can do better."??

I've spent WEEKS on a track once. When you actually count mixing and really taking your time, then the beat production is NOTHING. It's like filming a movie vs MAKING a movie. And if there's politics involved (labels, managers, other producers) FUGGETABOWDIT!

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't think anyone can make a great beat in 20 minutes, there's not enough time to pan, master, eq, compress and get levels right along with your melody and backup instruments and arrangement. Everyone that said they make beats in less than 30 minutes are also people who have very bland and repetitive sounding beats on their myspaces and soundclicks. Dre is arguably the best producer ever and he takes a long ass time on his beats, why do you think he's so much more successful? I don't consider a simple melody and drums set to loop for 5 minutes a beat which seems to be fine with a lot of you.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
konartis said:
36 minutes... no more, no less
LOL he has it down t o36 minutes no more no less!! Thats for making beat wrinting lyrics recording artist mixing trak and mastering ....
TIME... New world record!! lol
And no disrespect just trippin on the 36 min.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
i usually make like 5 beats at a time now. Ill start on one and work for about 25-30 min and then start a new one. Work on that for a bit and then start another new one or go back to the previous beat. This keeps things fresh for me. But usually i'd say i can make 5 beats in about 7-8 hours. Also depends if im smokin the kind buds cause then things tend to go alittle quicker cause my concentration is stabilized

D

DefPrettBoy

Depends on a lot of shit for me. I'm still kinda new to shit but I usually can get one done in about 3-4 hours. Depends on the greenery and and the mood.

D

Dyce-Kid06

Ditto. I start with a concept which takes me bout 5 minz az I try an capture the mood n tone of the beat I want to make. Then from there on in ideas start to flow. All in all it usually takes me bout 1hr-2hr.

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
As long as it takes, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 1 hour 24 hours, 7 day's ,1 year......
It doesn't matter.

Your making music, your not working in a factory.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
who the hell has the time to time themself?? beats are the backbone of the song so they can not be thrown together with some fuckn elmers glue and some dame popsicle sticks. Take your time with everything, each track needs to be master'd the more time you take the better the quality. I take about 9-15 minutes to make a beat.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
I don't think anyone can make a great beat in 20 minutes, there's not enough time to pan, master, eq, compress and get levels right along with your melody and backup instruments and arrangement. Everyone that said they make beats in less than 30 minutes are also people who have very bland and repetitive sounding beats on their myspaces and soundclicks. Dre is arguably the best producer ever and he takes a long ass time on his beats, why do you think he's so much more successful? I don't consider a simple melody and drums set to loop for 5 minutes a beat which seems to be fine with a lot of you.

ur misinformed ....

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
I can make a beat in 20 or 30 minutes. But thats just usually the essentials for the track. I still go back and to tweak a sample or putt a better mix on a beat i made 2 or 3 years ago. I always had the mind set when I made tracks years ago that I knew at the time my mixing skills or what i was working off of was not where it needed to be at yet. So i'd just keep it and come back to it at a better time.