how many hours in the lab?

How many hours per week are you grinding?

• Total voters

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
first off props to cleverwon for keeping it real and admitting hes got a ghostproducer lol. thats that real shi* right there.

i hear what a lot of ppl are saying about school, its a grind man. i'm about to finish my BA at a unversity in a month and after that i'll be doing this full time, like 12 hrs a day status which I can't wait for. but its hard right now...i try to committ around 7 hrs a day but it means a lot of sacrifice...a lot less going out than i used to do...man i barely even can watch tv anymore or relax at night, its typically get done with class, hit the gym for an hour, and beats from 6 or 7 until 2 or 3 in the am. i love this though...as much as i miss out on things i wouldn't trade this for anything in thr world, for real.

i'm also just a perfectionist and a workaholic since i stopped smoking weed. i've had the flu for the last week and haven't really been able to work like normal, and its like, i cant even relax when im not working to a point...i just think about some other kid out there grinding harder than me, and it makes me want to work. even when i take my 1 night a week off normally, i find myself thinking about my music damn near the whole time.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Because of school and work: only about 15 per week. This summer, my whole life is going to be dedicated to music just like my whole life is dedicated to my major (Graphic & Web Design) right now. I am a woman of all trades and being dedicated to music will be NO problem. It's going to be like Kanye West said: locking myself in my room for three summers.

*Note: I've tried staying up 'til 4AM studying my keys, software and learning more, but that caught up to me after a while. I was eating more, just not healthy, I couldn't have that. I understand that as a musician that's what you do, but I came up with a similiar system: go to bed early and get up WAY EARLY in the morning before the day begins.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
first off props to cleverwon for keeping it real and admitting hes got a ghostproducer lol. thats that real shi* right there.

i hear what a lot of ppl are saying about school, its a grind man. i'm about to finish my BA at a unversity in a month and after that i'll be doing this full time, like 12 hrs a day status which I can't wait for. but its hard right now...i try to committ around 7 hrs a day but it means a lot of sacrifice...a lot less going out than i used to do...man i barely even can watch tv anymore or relax at night, its typically get done with class, hit the gym for an hour, and beats from 6 or 7 until 2 or 3 in the am. i love this though...as much as i miss out on things i wouldn't trade this for anything in thr world, for real.

i'm also just a perfectionist and a workaholic since i stopped smoking weed. i've had the flu for the last week and haven't really been able to work like normal, and its like, i cant even relax when im not working to a point...i just think about some other kid out there grinding harder than me, and it makes me want to work. even when i take my 1 night a week off normally, i find myself thinking about my music damn near the whole time.

7 hrs a day? ... enjoy the time u have u have bra ... i get MAYBE 1 hr on a week day and MAYBE 3 on a weekend day lol....... gym? .. forget about it on my schedule..... i would kill to have ur schedule.. take full advantage while it lasts.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
FUCK A REAL JOB.

Honestly im dissapointed in the amount of time i spend in the lab. If i could have it my way my fingers would be attached to my keys.

10-20 :nope:

Work takes away everything 40 hours a week of my life doing somthing only for money. thats not the way i want to go out.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Man I feel you on the girl friend tip.. Normally i would come home, go sit behind my comp, turn on live and fuck with some beats till i'm tired of it, then watch some tv and go back behind the beats..

No when i come home, my GF wants me to come and watch tv with her, and do stuff with her..

So now i put between 10-20 hrs on the beats, and it's leaning more towards 10..

But still i get like 2 -3 beats done p/week.. And that's what keeps me going!
But man, i love my free weekends, GF is at work i'm at home all by myself and then its just me and my samples.. Loving it..

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
so far, 3-4 hours a night. nothing really productive though since i'm sort of limited by not knowing everything about my hardware software yet.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Man I feel you on the girl friend tip.. Normally i would come home, go sit behind my comp, turn on live and fuck with some beats till i'm tired of it, then watch some tv and go back behind the beats..

No when i come home, my GF wants me to come and watch tv with her, and do stuff with her..

So now i put between 10-20 hrs on the beats, and it's leaning more towards 10..

But still i get like 2 -3 beats done p/week.. And that's what keeps me going!
But man, i love my free weekends, GF is at work i'm at home all by myself and then its just me and my samples.. Loving it..

haha .. yo its like bliss when ur girls at work and u got the studio to urself hahaha .. i know that feeling bro! ... just beats .. no distractions lmao haha!

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ima go with 1-5. workin on my freshmah year of college, workin part time, and kickin it with friends/gf seem to take up all my time. use to be able to devote a lot more time to this.

kinda miss it when it was just simple, highschool i spent a lot more time on this shit.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i've had the flu for the last week and haven't really been able to work like normal, and its like, i cant even relax when im not working to a point...i just think about some other kid out there grinding harder than me, and it makes me want to work. even when i take my 1 night a week off normally, i find myself thinking about my music damn near the whole time.

You know when you wanted to go to that thing the other night and you couldnt..? I was there and snagged that connect!!
LOL, I didnt know you were hittin it as hard as you do..
Glad I got the "Cali Cartel" thing in then, feels like Im sorta there too..lol

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
having a fucked up schedule helps u in a way .... i get so wound up during the day that when i finally sit down in the studio im so amped and hype that i crank out something in a matter of minutes .. i have all day to daydream about diffrent melodys and make beats in my head .. by the time i get home i got so many ideas in my head that i can just bang em out like nothin ... where if i had mad time to do evrything, u get lazy and ur brain burns out and u actually get less accomplished

O

open mind

how do u avoid forgeting all the melodys and ideas that u have during the days if u cant implement them shortly in reality? do u write them down or record them into a voice recorder or sumtin?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
how do u avoid forgeting all the melodys and ideas that u have during the days if u cant implement them shortly in reality? do u write them down or record them into a voice recorder or sumtin?

i dunno i just dont seem to forget lol .... i like relics idea though never thought of that ... one of my boys who raps does that .. he keeps a recorder and spits lines into it all day ... i have a strange memory i can dig up melodys and ryhmes i thought about days or even weeks before .... classic has seen me do it a few times in the booth and on the beats... i dunno its like it hear it so clearly in mind that it just stays there. a few times ill have a melody in my head on monday but i cant figure out how to play it or i just physically cant play it so ill call classic to see if he can do it .. but class cant make it to the studio untill the weekend ... but when he comes on the wekend ill still remember the melody and we will work on it.... i dunno maybe its a gift

its funny after i hear a song maybe 3 or 4 times i can memorize all the words to it... lol i could recite stress's ryhmes or merc waters lines all day lol... i know the words to all the artists i produce for and i could recite anyone of their rhymes too lmao

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yo, i kind of feel you. You just got to try to balance the time. I had to learn the hardway. One time, my wife came in and hit the main switch to all my equipment. I was tight because i just had chopped up a dope sample. But i deserved it because i've been in the lab all week and haven't seen her except for a few hours a day. She's very supportive, but i the same time, she's human and is only going to take so much. Oh, did i mention that i have a daughter that's a "daddy's girl". So you know she always wants to be under her daddy. Like "Ash" said, it's not how much time, but what you do with it...Most of my time is just sitting and listening to records. (Front to back) I may go two to three days without making a track. I just sit, turn on the records and vibe looking for a break. Once i find the breaks, i won't make the track just yet. I just put the records that i intend to use off to the side. I let everything come to me. I don't force tracks...

This is some grown man real talk now. I have to divide my time with my pregnant girlfriend/4 year old daughter/other family(mother,grandparents,sister) plus I'm a cab/shuttle driver so I got to put in ATLEAST 12 a day on my job. If your'e in this situation I think one solution is getting a job that allows you to be flexible or you might just have to call in some days.You have to give the wife/girlfriend and kids their time,like spend the whole Sunday with them,go to the zoo,movies etc..but then take a whole day for the music. When I'm in the lab I don't know when the next session might be ,so I try to get the most out of that time I do have. When your on these terms,you might get what one man gets done in 6 hours in 2, this is really whats important cause everybody's not on the same schedule.

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
20-30, thats all the time i have with a lack of sleep being in the military. dont feel the need to hang out with people cuz it gets me nowhere productive unless it deals with music. whenever im not workin, im workin on somthin music related - or playin video games :)

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i have a ghost producer...

*yea right*

not really sure the reason behind this survey, so that'll be my answer.

as i said in my first post the reason for the survey was mainly that i saw a similar poll on future producers and wanted to see how illmuzik stacked up. a lotta people on here talk down on fp (myself included sometimes), so i wanted to see if we're really in a position to talk.

relic i do that same thing on my cell, it works well.

O

open mind

i dunno i just dont seem to forget lol .... i like relics idea though never thought of that ... one of my boys who raps does that .. he keeps a recorder and spits lines into it all day ... i have a strange memory i can dig up melodys and ryhmes i thought about days or even weeks before .... classic has seen me do it a few times in the booth and on the beats... i dunno its like it hear it so clearly in mind that it just stays there. a few times ill have a melody in my head on monday but i cant figure out how to play it or i just physically cant play it so ill call classic to see if he can do it .. but class cant make it to the studio untill the weekend ... but when he comes on the wekend ill still remember the melody and we will work on it.... i dunno maybe its a gift

its funny after i hear a song maybe 3 or 4 times i can memorize all the words to it... lol i could recite stress's ryhmes or merc waters lines all day lol... i know the words to all the artists i produce for and i could recite anyone of their rhymes too lmao
WOW...

members online