how many hours in the lab?

How many hours per week are you grinding?

• Total voters

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i do about 20-30 a week.......

It might be more cuz im always diggin' for samples and Im always listenin' to samples.

Im kinda deep in it. Thats prolly why i still aint got no girlfriend.:gosh:

Which is why you have time to do it at all! :D

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
how do u avoid forgeting all the melodys and ideas that u have during the days if u cant implement them shortly in reality? do u write them down or record them into a voice recorder or sumtin?

I record mine on my cell phone's audio recorder ("voice notes" is what Motorola calls it).

O

open mind

i voted "I have a ghostproducer (where its really at!)" cause i got a dude in my brain that is constantly producing crazy shit 24hours a day! he just needs a COOKIE! :D and he is ready to go.haha!

this is how he looks like:

i dont produce muzik, muzik produces me.

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
if im at home, which i am alot then im doing nothing but on illmuzik reading, making beats, and myspace.
soo i get alot of hours in per week maby like 7 or more, i get home around 4 and stay up til about 11 or 10 makin beats.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
2 hours a month i gotta get my 5 on my aps homes i got a 3.9 and i need to build up a resume so i dont need to rely on this beatmaking stuff for money cuz i doubt i ll b able to get in the industry no matter how good i get

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Just to the people thats finished education and are now working. If it's true you get far less time for the lab work, and are not doing this as a hobby i.e want to pursue it professionally, dont you think you have to commit 100% to make real progress? Or is there some strategy that can work which am missing out on? If it's just a hobby, then it's all good. It's would be just like playing ball on the weekend.

ronp

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
In college I learned not to sleep (I get about 4 hours a night). Now that I have a full time job, I work on music at nights around 8pm to 2am.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
6-10 i think close to the 6 atm, got school and work, in summer would be more i guess when i'm done with school. Hope to make the first real tracks with raps on it.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Just to the people thats finished education and are now working. If it's true you get far less time for the lab work, and are not doing this as a hobby i.e want to pursue it professionally, dont you think you have to commit 100% to make real progress? Or is there some strategy that can work which am missing out on? If it's just a hobby, then it's all good. It's would be just like playing ball on the weekend.

well as much as I and some others might use that as an excuse, i actually dont feel that you have to commit all of ur time to it. u have to properly use the time u have. If u have all day and night to produce but u only average one track a week and u never get out the house... then ur just spinning ur wheels. Its more about actual productivity then the actual amount of hours u put into it... im willing to bet my catalog is larger than 95% of the peoples on this site... and i have almost zero free time available.....cuz I work very quickly.... i dont say that to boast in any way but u gotta look at things that way sometimes... 1 hour of high powered hustle is better than 5 hours of half assin ... .... that being said my problem is not the music.. its the networking ... im not "out there" enough..... real talk even with the little time i have i really could put alot more into the networking/publicity side of things. I have developed certain relationships that i really dont even take advantage of fully cuz im not around like that. However That will change once my project is completed ... im gonna be alot more visible and out there. My plan is before i really get out there.. i need a quality project to push.. not just a beat cd... so thats what im doin

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I agree with that Ash^^^, its how productive you are with the time you have. Plus, no matter how busy you are you will always make time for anything you really want to do.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
true, i don't think beiing 24/7 in the studio won't make you any better, some fresh air is insperational and i think you need to let it rest sometimes and realy sit and think about how to step it up not only by trying but also by thinking what you need to improve and listning to others (well everybody does and everybody has its own influences, you wouldn't know how to make a beat if you haven't listened to others. Wheter the told you how to actually do it or only heard the result).

M

Mitrxxx

I finished school and went head in full-time...From when I wake up(10am), to when I sleep(4am-6am)....ramen noodle packages, beer cans, and beats! Bachelor labratt style!

DJ Udo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Mannn! 6-10 (usually all in the same day) would be more If I could... I'm strugglin' not to sart up on this beat I started the other day cuz I know I'll be up till 4AM

S

Sam Rhansum

100+ Man, its about 9am to 2-3am everyday with this music. All grind. If I'm on the net with my contacts and networking, I got a program running in the background. If I'm away from the gear on the meeting/networking tip, I'm reviewing older tracks on my iphone.

Its a blessing to be doin this full time for the last 4 years. But I gotta admit, a "real" job would be good sometimes just to interact with more people on a daily. These walls get real small sittin in the same place day after day. I take a walk just to see real people.

And the funny thing about GFs and Wifeys: The same grind/hustle that you had that turned them on, is most likely the the same thing that will break you up. LOL It goes from "Ohhh you so talented, and sooo commited,, I love that about you!!" to "Why you always in the studio???" real quick.

Rh

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
i wanna retract my previous vote from however many years ago.

I no longer keep track of "time" spent in the lab. More like time spent away from it is what bothers me.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
And the funny thing about GFs and Wifeys: The same grind/hustle that you had that turned them on, is most likely the the same thing that will break you up. LOL It goes from "Ohhh you so talented, and sooo commited,, I love that about you!!" to "Why you always in the studio???" real quick.

Rh

VERY VERY true!