Next to blow!!!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
I feel u Fury, i didnt think he sounded anything like Em either. Maybe people are referring to his vocal tone rather then his flow?

The kids got potential but if were talking about new white rappers on the scene that are about to blow or at least should, i could name a handful before this guy. Not hatin, hes just not that ill. Hes got some meaningful stuff hes saying on occasion, but Ive heard way more impressive wordplay from other whiteboys.

i wholeheatedly co-sign. you said it there the way i meant to earlier. i wish him success, but im just not a fan.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Please, please, please stop comparing A.Roth to Eminem.

Subject matter wise and in terms of their respective entry into the game, they are nothing alike whatsoever.

Em was one of the fiercest underground MC's EVER (yes, I said ever) and came up during the "Rawkus era", which is when underground hip hop was at its peak. He's in the Wake Up Show Hall of Fame!

Comparing Roth to Em is exactly like comparing Sean Kingston to Biggie with the explanation
"They look similar to one another"

A. Roth is cool, and I think he can rap and represents a real demographic, but every white rapper that can put a verse together is not Eminem. Funny thing is, people started calling/texting A.Roth when Em started leaking new freestyles, and even he's like "Where are the comparisons coming from?!"

I think most of these comparisons come from skin color. If you tell me A.Roth sounds like
the group Young Black Teenagers I could agree but other than voice, please leave Em out the discussion.

divineaspex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yea, I heard about this kid awhile ago....I was selling his "The GreenHouse Effect" mixtape in wal-mart parking lots (just on some hustle shit). I knew people would buy it.....i made album covers and all making it seem like i was promoting him and shit. I made about $70 off of dude, off the strength that he was white, and I live in a college town (Tallahassee). Either way, he is average in my opinion, but the way he is marketing himself toward the college community is pretty dope.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I pray for the day that we dont compare every white rapper to Eminem its fuckin ridiculous..we dont compare immortal technique and celph titled to Pun

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i really don't mind him - he really has a white dude party anthem with "i love college" though (no racist). doesn't he have an album with don cannon coming up too?

i'm with ash though, drake is about to do some big things

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
if his vocal tone sounds like Em it sounds like Em....on the first song posted when he is talking, It sounds very much like eminem. Not taking anything from him at all...
As for his style/gimmick/rhyming he is nothing like Eminem. I heard about him a while back, I think through myspace with that green house mixtape. He's got flow...and I think he is going to blow... I like his style.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I wasn't trying to make this a "white rapper" thread. It's funny how that crept in and damn near took over. I peeped dudes show, saw his following then checked his internet buzz to come up with my conclusion. My "next to blow" is as a rap artist PERIOD....not based on race at all. I wasn't trying to make him a lyrical dynamo or draw comparisons to anybody past or present. Besides, if the litmus test for white rappers is going to be Em, NON will pass imo. I just think he has a combination of all the elements needed to be successful in the game. There's a million emcee's that can spit better but they might lack stage presence, a big following and not enough of the right buzz.

I can see Asher having a "colt like" following. I don't know about Drake and who ever else was mentioned so far in this thread.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
these two are my pics for BLOWING in 2009.. ill take these two over asher roth .. regardless of skin color or any other factor

Drake http://www.myspace.com/thisisdrake (lil wayne cosign .. he can rap, sing and has the look, he was an actor on degrassi before he started rappin)

Wale http://www.myspace.com/wale (just dope lyrics and a crazy flow)

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
I wasn't trying to make this a "white rapper" thread. It's funny how that crept in and damn near took over. I peeped dudes show, saw his following then checked his internet buzz to come up with my conclusion. My "next to blow" is as a rap artist PERIOD....not based on race at all. I wasn't trying to make him a lyrical dynamo or draw comparisons to anybody past or present. Besides, if the litmus test for white rappers is going to be Em, NON will pass imo. I just think he has a combination of all the elements needed to be successful in the game. There's a million emcee's that can spit better but they might lack stage presence, a big following and not enough of the right buzz.

I can see Asher having a "colt like" following. I don't know about Drake and who ever else was mentioned so far in this thread.

I checked his myspace, music and bio and what not... and I am a fan. Thanks for the heads up on this guy man. I like how he is just himself. His rhyme cadence reminds me of Lupe on some songs.... but I agree with you 100% we will see alot of him in 2009. Definitely one of the next to blow up in a major way.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
these two are my pics for BLOWING in 2009.. ill take these two over asher roth .. regardless of skin color or any other factor

Drake http://www.myspace.com/thisisdrake (lil wayne cosign .. he can rap, sing and has the look, he was an actor on degrassi before he started rappin)

Wale http://www.myspace.com/wale (just dope lyrics and a crazy flow)

Drake= was cool, but I honestly wasn't feelin him. Songs were kinda boring IMO.

Wale- I like him alot, been listening to Nike boots for a while. I don't know about the next to blow, but he's got skills.

The reason I would choose Roth over these 2 is because his sound has more of a "non threatening" tone. I think his audience is going to be bigger, and he will eventually be all over MTV, the 2 artist you mentioned, to me, don't have that type of appeal.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Ok...I just "Google'd" this Drake dude, first of all the word "Drake yelled nothing. Then I typed rapper Drake and got this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...evisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=top-revision&cd=1

Google'd Asher Roth and got this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...n-US:official&hs=KPG&q=Asher+Roth&btnG=Search

Internet presence is MAJOR in the game today. If it wasn't most of you wouldn't be trying to cast your careers off on the net! There's no comparison in internet BUZZ between the two. Asher hands down! I also like the fact that Asher didn't try to collab with the likes of the Lil Wayne's of the world to get on or generate his buzz. I haven't seen Asher guess appear with anyone. That's a number one rule when just getting out there. DON'T DO IT ON SOMEBODY ELSE'S BUZZ. Your first joints need to have ZERO guest appearances imo. There's plenty negative buzz out there for this Drake dude as well http://forums.projectcovo.com/showthread.php?t=1237951. I'm going to actually try and listen to him in a few.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

OK!

Based on this first song I can't agree with anything good said about him. Weezy kill'd him on his on shit, for one, why the fuck is he trying to sound like weezy? And all that talking on his shit.... Checked his joint "Brand New"...if that's him singing, singing is a better look for him...but on this joint I hear R. Kelly all day! He has talent but he seems to be sounding like who ever is doing it big at the time. Kellz on the singing tip and Weezy on the rap tip. For all those that scream "ORIGINALITY" original he is not!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^^ download any of drakes or wales mixtapes and the download asher roth don cannon mixtape and if u honestly think asher roths music is better than you lost all my respect lol. nuff said. personally i like wale best out of everybody, but i think drake will blow harder than wale cuz he has a more marketable image. who says blowing has anything to do with originality? lol .. asher might blow.. im not denying that.. all im sayin is you wont hear his shit around here (Brooklyn) .. he wont "blow in the streets" he will blow on the bubblegum/ kiss fm airwaves.. thats all im sayin. I would be very suprised if I ever hear anyone rollin by bumping some asher roth in the Stuy. Just aint happenin. weezy kills evryone lol .. no big news there.. im sure he would demolish mr roth twice as bad.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
^^ download any of drakes or wales mixtapes and the download asher roth don cannon mixtape and if u honestly think asher roths music is better than you lost all my respect lol. nuff said. personally i like wale best out of everybody, but i think drake will blow harder than wale cuz he has a more marketable image. who says blowing has anything to do with originality? lol .. asher might blow.. im not denying that.. all im sayin is you wont hear his shit around here (Brooklyn) .. he wont "blow in the streets" he will blow on the bubblegum/ kiss fm airwaves.. thats all im sayin. I would be very suprised if I ever hear anyone rollin by bumping some asher roth in the Stuy. Just aint happenin. weezy kills evryone lol .. no big news there.. im sure he would demolish mr roth twice as bad.

ooooo...lol...so that's what it's about! Gotcha, that respect comment was unnecessary but it's all good. I'm not critiquing either down to there shoes and socks. My opinion is based on first impression on what there trying to do with there music. Asher is just being Asher and this Drake sounds like he's trying to be somebody else IMO. Oh yeah....I know dudes are tired of A Milli but Asher version shits on Drakes. Oh yeah, Drakes first occupation is being an actor, that would explain how he can morph into Weezy while at the same time sounding like R. Kelly when he sings..lol Guess I lost your respect homie...lmao IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I checked his myspace, music and bio and what not... and I am a fan. Thanks for the heads up on this guy man. I like how he is just himself. His rhyme cadence reminds me of Lupe on some songs.... but I agree with you 100% we will see alot of him in 2009. Definitely one of the next to blow up in a major way.
See what I dont get is you guys are gettin all gassed up about this dude cuz hes apparently being himself or at least what the stereotypical expectation is for all standard white kids????.....

I mean hes doin his thing so big ups on his success if he blows, i just see him more as the next commodified product to sell on the shelves of your local wallmart rather then anything else.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
This kid is crazy! Definitely one of the next to blow, str8 outta P.A now residing in Atlanta....
How long has it been since Em came on the scene? IT'S TIME!

lmao, that's all I said and then posted a few vids. Saw the kid performing live and was impressed, that's really all it boils down 2.

Some how this thread has managed to take a turn down that same ole one way street that many threads on ILL eventually go down. You know the one, this ain't street enough, that ain't hip hop, this dude's ok but the dude I'm checking for is WAAAAAAAAAAY better, you don't know real hip hop, I do, If you don't like what I like you don't know shit.

Nobody here on ILL is the foremost authority on hip hop, u may think you are but you're not. The question is why we gotta go there anyway? Why can't we "respectfully" agree to disagree on certain things things instead of turning negative to the point where some "go personal"?

This kid possibly blowing up doesn't push anybody else pick to the background. My operative words were "ONE OF THE NEXT TO BLOW", not the be all end all. What's bumping in the cars that roll around Brooklyn doesn't determine the next thing that will be big in hip hop. I think New York as a whole lost that kind of power a decade or so ago. Nobody's wrong in there opinion on this, the opinions are just diff't.

members online