Next to blow!!!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Aint nobody go personal... lol
Some cats feel him others dont, its the nature of things.

^^ download any of drakes or wales mixtapes and the download asher roth don cannon mixtape and if u honestly think asher roths music is better than you lost all my respect lol. nuff said.

That's a personal jab, I duck and weave those by the way..lmao. I know you carry a peace pipe in your back pocket, pass it around! You're right, it is the nature of things.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Weeeeeeeell noooow seeee, I think that he didnt see the show you did, I also think no one in Stuy will be rollin around pumpin it and thats ok too.
In ATL which as you know I am right by and have been too plenty they have mad love for the artists there, and that will be enough for MR. Roth if he never goes any further north than NC.
Time will tell.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
haha i would dont take it personal .. just personal TASTE .. .. anyways it wasnt that serious lol ... at any rate im with my homie steez .. theres soooo much better talent out there regardless of race or whatever..

vice - that rapper you posted sounds like em's cracked out doppleganger lol ... i feel that style of rap is hella played out.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Weeeeeeeell noooow seeee, I think that he didnt see the show you did, I also think no one in Stuy will be rollin around pumpin it and thats ok too.
In ATL which as you know I am right by and have been too plenty they have mad love for the artists there, and that will be enough for MR. Roth if he never goes any further north than NC.
Time will tell.

hes been up here and done shows and what not. Im just sayin im not a fan and nobody i hang with is a fan either. Im sayin, he doesnt come up in conversations around my circles. its not like my friends come thru like "yo did yo hear that new asher roth, shits sick" . take it however you want to. im not dissin his music, he can do him, its just not my thing. he's like, not even on my top 100 list.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Time will tell.

I wouldn't expect Stuy to either. It's probably hard for anybody to get love there unless they sound like Biggie or Jigga. That's kind of what happen to the Smash brothers at that one site Ash asked us to peep where there Album was being reviewed. Since they didn't sound like either the reviews weren't going to well. The nature of the beast I guess. We don't have the problem down in the bottoms....lol

He's getting love in his home state of P.A as well so he's passed the N.C state line. He may have jumped over it but all the same he has fans outside of the south east. I had never heard of him before I saw him performing the other night. His real vid for the "I love college" joint drop'd yesterday so he's more than out there now. Time will tell what he or Drake will do. I hope both succeed, not one more than the other. I'll make sure I revisit my prediction in a few months or so.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^^^ naw actually thats not at all what i am talking about.. for example jeezy, wayne, ti, etc.. get mad love, mad radio play, and every car that passes in bk/nyc is bumping they shit right next to jay and big. its not no south/north bullshit or critic/writer bullshit. im just talking the streets fam. i think u got some distorted view of this south/north thing ldb.. when the last time u been to new york? .. evrybody here doesnt wear hoodies and listen to wu tang all day. jeezy and them are just as big up here as they are down there. well at least 80%. ashers been signed to a major deal for a minute, (u could have started this thread 6 months ago and it would have been more of a "prediction", now its an inevitability) and he's white, good looking, and soccer moms everywhere will love him. of course he will blow. thats not a hard prediction to make. But, me being the type of musically inclined fan that I am, when i see a thread next to blow im expecting some incredible shit that makes me go wow. Maybe even something i haven't heard before thats just plain dope. Roth doesnt cut it for me. and something tells me the big bodies in decatur arent bumpin asher roth either lol.. i guess u can prove me wrong though

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
^^^ naw actually thats not at all what i am talking about.. for example jeezy, wayne, ti, etc.. get mad love, mad radio play, and every car that passes in bk/nyc is bumping they shit right next to jay and big. its not no south/north bullshit or critic/writer bullshit. im just talking the streets fam. i think u got some distorted view of this south/north thing ldb.. when the last time u been to new york? .. evrybody here doesnt wear hoodies and listen to wu tang all day. jeezy and them are just as big up here as they are down there. well at least 80%. ashers been signed to a major deal for a minute, (u could have started this thread 6 months ago and it would have been more of a "prediction", now its an inevitability) and he's white, good looking, and soccer moms everywhere will love him. of course he will blow. thats not a hard prediction to make. But, me being the type of musically inclined fan that I am, when i see a thread next to blow im expecting some incredible shit that makes me go wow. Maybe even something i haven't heard before thats just plain dope. Roth doesnt cut it for me. and something tells me the big bodies in decatur arent bumpin asher roth either lol.. i guess u can prove me wrong though

lol...so now I'm distorted too?

I don't know about that major deal thing. As far as I know he's signed under Canon and Canon has an independent deal with major distribution. SRC is the label based on the his video I got from my DJ video source.

lol...I haven't been to New York since 92, I'm a country boy...I like things sloooooooowwwwwwww. You're a hard critic, what has drop'd in the last 5 years that made you go "wow"? Did the Drake dude make you go "wow"?

Having the potential to blow to me has no "wow" factor involved. The club was packed out and everybody was grooving to Asher, black, white Jew and Jamaican. We just don't have the same philosophy when it comes to predicting such things. I'm not going to loose "respect" for you because of it though (lol). It ain't that serious. I won't lie and say I've heard people in my hood bumping Asher, for one I've just heard of him. If I like his music I'll bump him, what others play has never influenced my personal taste anyway. Only time that matters to me is when I'm doing a DJ gig. There my job is to play what the people want so I do it.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
lol 92's a long time.. there are white people all up bedstuy now lol... alot's changed

drake did make me go wow.. but it wasnt anything thats on his myspace and ditto on wale.. check the mixtapes.. im a def wale fan.. i like drake, but i wouldnt call myself a real fan. but yeah ashers signed under steve rifkin for awhile now. like long enough to have an album out. i heard about him like last june lol. hes not getting this pub on his own. he did his first live show AFTER he was signed and released the green house tape. Thats ass backwards to me. How do u get signed without doing a show? or even putting out a mixtape? dude didnt even grind to get his buzz going, he got signed and then the buzz was created after wards. Thats why i take steez's position on this one. i put up wale and drake cuz they been doin there thing for awhile now in terms of shows and buzz. wale is signed to interscope now, but he has been touring WORLDWIDE for years without a deal. Thats what "blowing" is to me. Like it or not, asher is pretty much an industry generated dude. Its not like Cannon "discovered" the guy out of nowhere. there labelmates. Its his job. A guy from toronto doesnt get taken under wayne's wing by chance. the boy has skills. wayne actually performed a drake song at the vmas awhile back. took drakes lyrics for his performance.

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
ash - have you listened to the new 88 keys mixtape? i have a feeling that you'd like it

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
vice - that rapper you posted sounds like em's cracked out doppleganger lol ... i feel that style of rap is hella played out.
hahaha... he kinda is.. He is a Christian rapper who sounds exactly like Em... he got some major media because he did a song called Dear Slim about how he was going to pray for him or something. He tried to give Em his CD backstage at some awards or something but nothing ever came from it I guess, except dude making alot of money from the church kids.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
See what I dont get is you guys are gettin all gassed up about this dude cuz hes apparently being himself or at least what the stereotypical expectation is for all standard white kids????.....

I mean hes doin his thing so big ups on his success if he blows, i just see him more as the next commodified product to sell on the shelves of your local wallmart rather then anything else.

I read his bio, and I liked his perspective on Hip Hop. Some reason most white rappers, even Eminem, have this out of place look. Like they are trying to be somebody they aren't. I'm not one to judge any of these guys, but it seems like this Roth kid is more genuine than that. Like, I wear flip flops, so fuck it I'm going to rock flip flops on stage.lol. He doesn't fit the mold or try to fit the mold and I respect that.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
He doesn't fit the mold or try to fit the mold and I respect that.
Thats exactly my point tho. Theres plenty of white rappers out there doin there thing just the same as him. Im just not impressed personally.

I could give a shit if Methodman, KRS One, or this roth kid wears flip flops tho....I really think too many people analyze what their seeing before they analyze what theyre hearing these days. You can thank Mtv for that. Im more concerned about if your beats are dope and you got a ill flow with something to say.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Thats exactly my point tho. Theres plenty of white rappers out there doin there thing just the same as him. Im just not impressed personally.

I could give a shit if Methodman, KRS One, or this roth kid wears flip flops tho....I really think too many people analyze what their seeing before they analyze what theyre hearing these days. You can thank Mtv for that. Im more concerned about if your beats are dope and you got a ill flow with something to say.

I actually haven't heard any white rappers that I like, if you can name me a few I would appreciate it. and after listening to Roth, I think dude has alot of skills. His flow and delivery are nice. I'm going to download his mixtape tonight cause all I've heard so far was his myspace music.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Honestly man, I think this topic is totally dependent on who you like and who your feeling now tho ya kno? Thats the exact reason I never named any names yet. Cuz i didnt wanna come across as "oh hes just saying who he likes", etc......But i suppose thats what it boils down to aint it.

To name a few, and I mean literally a few:
TopR - is an excellent rapper and just happens to be white and fully reps being himself.
The Loyalists - another group, both white puting it down in the Bay while still being themselves.
Slug from Atmosphere. - This guys been on the map for mad long now and never sacrificed image for his sound.
Chords - just got turned onto this guy from Sweden of all places and hes fucking dope.
Superci - Another Swedish hiphop group, all white, but fully puting it down in their own fashion and doin it well.
EL-P - when did this guy ever play the wigger role? Never.
Conceit - another up and comer from the bay totally holdin it down for the blue collar working fun loving drunk type.
The Grouch - an icon in the underground game and still never changed.
UglyDuckling - Never tripped on peoples interpretation of their image and still always made good hiphop. Hell look at their name!?....It says it all.
Mars Ill - Group from ATL that has always been true to their roots and made excellent hiphop.

The list goes on man...
But its all in the ears of the beholder IMO.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Honestly man, I think this topic is totally dependent on who you like and who your feeling now tho ya kno? Thats the exact reason I never named any names yet. Cuz i didnt wanna come across as "oh hes just saying who he likes", etc......But i suppose thats what it boils down to aint it.

To name a few, and I mean literally a few:
TopR - is an excellent rapper and just happens to be white and fully reps being himself.
The Loyalists - another group, both white puting it down in the Bay while still being themselves.
Slug from Atmosphere. - This guys been on the map for mad long now and never sacrificed image for his sound.
Chords - just got turned onto this guy from Sweden of all places and hes fucking dope.
Superci - Another Swedish hiphop group, all white, but fully puting it down in their own fashion and doin it well.
EL-P - when did this guy ever play the wigger role? Never.
Conceit - another up and comer from the bay totally holdin it down for the blue collar working fun loving drunk type.
The Grouch - an icon in the underground game and still never changed.
UglyDuckling - Never tripped on peoples interpretation of their image and still always made good hiphop. Hell look at their name!?....It says it all.
Mars Ill - Group from ATL that has always been true to their roots and made excellent hiphop.

The list goes on man...
But its all in the ears of the beholder IMO.

thanks for the list.... I really was asking cause I haven't heard anyone yet... I've actually listened to Ugly Duckling back in the day... also Mars Ill and El-P... I can't sand listening to these guys for to long though, it starts becoming like heavy metal to me and hurts my ears.lol. I never understood why, it just does. I'll look up the rest and hopefully I'll like one of them.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
lmao, that's all I said and then posted a few vids. Saw the kid performing live and was impressed, that's really all it boils down 2.

Some how this thread has managed to take a turn down that same ole one way street that many threads on ILL eventually go down. You know the one, this ain't street enough, that ain't hip hop, this dude's ok but the dude I'm checking for is WAAAAAAAAAAY better, you don't know real hip hop, I do, If you don't like what I like you don't know shit.

Nobody here on ILL is the foremost authority on hip hop, u may think you are but you're not. The question is why we gotta go there anyway? Why can't we "respectfully" agree to disagree on certain things things instead of turning negative to the point where some "go personal"?

This kid possibly blowing up doesn't push anybody else pick to the background. My operative words were "ONE OF THE NEXT TO BLOW", not the be all end all. What's bumping in the cars that roll around Brooklyn doesn't determine the next thing that will be big in hip hop. I think New York as a whole lost that kind of power a decade or so ago. Nobody's wrong in there opinion on this, the opinions are just diff't.

I agree, for A. Roth to blow it doesn't really hinder any other artist's progress at the same time, just because he's a white MC that doesn't rap about the "Elements of Hip-Hop" doesn't make him the next Eminem. Not necessarily saying that you made the statement, it's a general consensus that I hear all the time in hip-hop circles and I think its inaccurate.

I don't think anybody tries to be the foremost authority on hip-hop, its just that hip-hop is like politics and religion, it tends to lead to heated discussions.

There are a lot of artists that have the ability to go to the next level, it's what I travel all around the country looking for. A. Roth is one of them.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
hes got some nice rhymes and he can flow too, but rapping is just a little fun for him. a gimmick. a rap artist is supposed to represent his community or people, a certain mind set and some inner craving or i dont know... playing beer pong and showing hes got some black friends too ? thats just a joke (no matter if hes white or not)
i might be a bit late on that one