Next to blow!!!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
hes got some nice rhymes and he can flow too, but rapping is just a little fun for him. a gimmick. a rap artist is supposed to represent his community or people, a certain mind set and some inner craving or i dont know... playing beer pong and showing hes got some black friends too ? thats just a joke (no matter if hes white or not)
i might be a bit late on that one

That's reading a little too much into it imo. How can you honestly say that this is a "gimmick"? What do you base that on other than being on the outside looking in? And why can't hip hop/rap music not be fun. Hell if it wasn't I wouldn't be doing it. You spit it how you live it in some cases. If your not in a crime infested community why would you speak on it. I think Asher is representing his community. A lot of college kids get down the way he spit it, black and white a like. College is one big ass party most of the time for a kid. If I actually know people who went to college to party first study second. It sounds retarded to me for the amount of money you or your parents have to spend but never the less it happens everyday.

Unless you personally know the guy, live with him, know how he truly feels about what he does, you can't truly say whether is just a funny gimmick to him. Half (or more) of what you hear in music is "untrue", if guys fucked, smoked, shot, robbed, drank, trapped, snorted etc etc as much as they claim they did in there music they wouldn't have time to do music and would probably be in jail or dead. Rap music has always been on some "bragadoshish" shit, dudes rapping about a lot of what they honestly don't do. Its still entertaining. Black people do have white friends and white people do have black friends, I don't know how that can be considered a gimmick.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i agree with you to a certain extend. im not saying hiphop cant be fun. this truly would be a very sad idea. but i'm saying that even when hiphop was fun, it always had - intended or unintended - a socio-critical context. it always was an instrument of the repressed or speaking against repression, in some sense.
so even when talking about smoking, snorting, fucking or shooting people, hiphop is reflecting an expelled part of society. people talk about this shit when they have nothing else to be proud of. education, status-symbols, respect.
now this roth kid obviously has all of these things. and by not questioning why he has and others dont, by not questioning why the majority of the people on the college partys is white middle to upper class, he is ripping hiphop out of its context. witless and unintentionally i'm sure, but still wrong.
All the more hugging his black friends in the video seemed like a cry for credibility to me, while it doesnt have to be.
actually dividing rappers into black and white misses the point i think, because ethnic minorities have to some extend gained access to the middle and upper class, while lots of white people are also part of the lower class (please dont misinterpret this sentence). so some categories and cliches dont apply anymore.
(f.e. he sounds a bit like eminem but thats where similarities end).

youre right, i might be misjudging him, i dont know him, he might be an "earnest rapper". but utilizing hiphop to celebrate a privileged lifestyle IS an involuntary political statement, namely: i dont give a fuck.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
He SOUNDS like eminem...but the skills aren't remotely close...

i feel what you're saying...

I think it's just hip-hop evolving.....

There's nothing wrong with rapping about college parties.....whether it or not it "detaches" itself from what hip-hop is "supposed to be" is irrelevant.....Music is something that comes from within...If you like hip-hop, and you have the ability to rap..you should rap about what you're familiar with...

The whole hugging up on the black people may look like him trying to gain credibility...but maybe it isn't. Only the people in the video know.

Whether or not you want to believe it......hip-hop IS divided into black and white. White rappers are scrutinized way more than any black rappers.....That stems from the segregation of years passed...

Shit..they even had a "white rapper" show. Many people look @ white rappers as some middle class kid with money who watches way too much BET and becomes B. Rad.

You don't see anything like that for rappers who aren't white.

Shit...if you went to an open mic and saw a white dude jump on stage...you would listen a lot more closely to him... I'm actually guilty of that......It's almost like you don't know what you're going to get when he gets on the mic....

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i have no idea why this guy got such a huge buzz like he does. ive seen him ENOUGH times for those that have just heard of him. i listened to his songs, youtubed him to see if he was really that good. but im not that impressed. it doesn't have to do with being street or some shit.

i feel like he's on some tupac shit in the sense of content on some songs. not literally but the way they portray their messages. duno how to describe. but still. not too clever, no too amazing. he's got a real smooth flow but what's so amazing?

what's so good about him? i mean ya he gets plays and fans from college kids and maybe high school kids. but for places that i check out, i'm surprised to see he has so much diversity in fans. he was on some hip hop magazines too in up and coming artists and shit. but the reason why i'm so surprised is. what do people like about him so much? they just do? his swag? his flow? i dont see the picture here. help me.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Just heard this dudes single on KrOq the college song.. forgot what it was exactly called.

wasnt feeling it.

i've heard some of this dudes other stuff and hes good, but iono something about that seemed watered down beyond normal measure.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
to be honest im not feelin any of the up and comers: i vote charles hamilton if any at all

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
i have no idea why this guy got such a huge buzz like he does. ive seen him ENOUGH times for those that have just heard of him. i listened to his songs, youtubed him to see if he was really that good. but im not that impressed. it doesn't have to do with being street or some shit.

i feel like he's on some tupac shit in the sense of content on some songs. not literally but the way they portray their messages. duno how to describe. but still. not too clever, no too amazing. he's got a real smooth flow but what's so amazing?

what's so good about him? i mean ya he gets plays and fans from college kids and maybe high school kids. but for places that i check out, i'm surprised to see he has so much diversity in fans. he was on some hip hop magazines too in up and coming artists and shit. but the reason why i'm so surprised is. what do people like about him so much? they just do? his swag? his flow? i dont see the picture here. help me.

well not speaking for everyone that likes him, because they could have other reasons, I personally liked how he is just a regular guy. He doesn't seem to try and act like anyone else, or dress like anyone else, and that's kinda what makes him who he is. He seems to just want to have fun and isn't really worried about anyone else.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
well not speaking for everyone that likes him, because they could have other reasons, I personally liked how he is just a regular guy. He doesn't seem to try and act like anyone else, or dress like anyone else, and that's kinda what makes him who he is. He seems to just want to have fun and isn't really worried about anyone else.

i think thats why people like him so much. Truly keepin it real.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
He doesn't seem to try and act like anyone else, or dress like anyone else, and that's kinda what makes him who he is. He seems to just want to have fun and isn't really worried about anyone else.

I agree with this, I think this is 99% of this guys act. The fact that he's not playing some bullshit fake role of being something he's not. I think that's definitely cool, I applaud that.
As far as his skills as an emcee, I'm a fan of emcee's that have those lines and flows that make you say "damn!" or "oh shit!". That's what is missing from this guys repertoire IMO. The first time I watched that video, half way in I still wasn't sure if it was serious or some kind of SNL parody.

Skills are lacking, however I do support this guy's be yourself image.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
uh lol asher roth is whack as all hell...

i mean are any of those beats original? i gotta say I have no respect for anyone who thinks they can take another artists beat and rap over it like... you're not going to kill the original track. live freestyling is of course an exception to this but hell man...

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
uh lol asher roth is whack as all hell...

i mean are any of those beats original? i gotta say I have no respect for anyone who thinks they can take another artists beat and rap over it like... you're not going to kill the original track. live freestyling is of course an exception to this but hell man...

um.... I think that's what mixtapes are all about if I'm not mistaken? It's kinda like the point of a mixtape.lol.
Alot of people have made mixtapes... I remember when I first heard Lupe he had a mixtape.

I guess if you don't like it you don't like it, but he does have some original songs on his myspace.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
I suppose that's true.. mixtapes have never really been my forte, so I wouldn't really know.

not to hijack this thread but: I mean IMO the instrumental makes up like 60-70% "of the track" (read: of why I would listen to a track) and the lyracism is maybe the last 30 percent... if that. So if you're going to make a track rippin off someone elses beat, why shouldn't I just listen to the original? You've gotta be a pretty damned good lyracist to make a recycled beat worth listening to, though that is just my opinion (and I'm the shittiest of shit heads).

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
This shit is dope! I liked every beat except the Jazze Pha joint..... The rhymes were pretty much on point, except I wasn't feelin his flow on "His Dream"

Other than that this is a SOLID album... I am very surprised, because I thought he was going to take a different approach.

My favorite song so far is the track with Cee Lo....

I need to listen a little more, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the best album I've heard all year.