Off Topic Trends Don't Lie, Hip Hop Is Dead

34135.jpg

Hip Hop is dead.

I know it's hard to hear, but it looks like Hip Hop as we know it, is dead. It's been said many times over, along with furious debates from others that state it's not dead, but statistics don't lie.

Trends

I recently took a look at Google Trends and plugged in a few keywords to see what was going on, and I quickly realized that things aren't looking very good for Hip Hop as a whole. Here at IllMuzik, member participation and community involvement has been on a decline since 2006, and that's the same year that Nas released his album, "Hip Hop Is Dead".

There are three areas of Hip Hop that I think are very important:
  • Hip Hop
  • Hip Hop Music
  • Hip Hop Production
Hip Hop

hiphopisdead1.jpg

If you take a look at the image above, you will notice how the term "Hip Hop" has been declining steadily since 2004. I think that's as far back as Google's trends go, but it still shows how it's on a downward slope. The decline doesn't seem that bad, but it must be because Hip Hop is more like "Hip Pop", as it has merged with the mainstream. There are many reasons why it could be declining, such as:
  • It has merged with the mainstream
  • It has lost its street cred
  • It's just not interesting anymore
Hip Hop as a culture is a great thing, but that's where it has lost its way; it's no longer a culture. Instead, it has turned into a money-making machine, and although there is nothing wrong with making money, that's not what Hip Hop was originally about. Rather than representing the streets and your community, Hip Hop is now an individual thing.

Hip Hop Music

hiphopisdead2.jpg

The culture is one thing, but the music is what has really taken a dive, and you don't really need to look at stats to see that. Take a listen to any average Hip Hop song of today and compare it to classic Hip Hop songs - it's almost comical.

Lyrics such as:

"Strike like lightnin', It's quite frightenin'
But don't be afraid in the dark, in a park
Not a scream or a cry, or a bark, more like a spark"
- Eric B. & Rakim "Lyrics Of Fury"

To something like this:

"She looking at the car like she wanna fuck it
She looking at the wrist like she wanna fuck it
Hating on her girlfriend just so I can fuck it
She say she on birth control, no I don't trust it, hoe"
- Kendrick Lamar "I Do This"

Some of you might say it's not fair to compare someone Rakim and Kendrick Lamar, but I have to disagree. Both are/were at the top of the ladder in the Hip Hop world, and those are both snippets of what they can do. It's not just about the words that are spit in those verses, it's also about the content and the intention.

Hip Hop music could be declining because of:
  • Subpar production
  • Repetitive topics
  • Boring lyrics
  • Terrible lyrics
  • Popularity of other genres
Hip Hop Production

hiphopisdead3.jpg

Obviously, this is an important topic for IllMuzik because it's what ILL represents, but it also has a great impact on Hip Hop music itself. Songs from years ago featured sample-heavy beats that were simply outstanding, but as the music production has moved away from samples, it just can't cut it. There are many Hip Hop songs out there with no samples whatsoever and they sound great, but the majority of them just don't stand up to the sample-based ones.

Without dope production, the music will suffer, which will also bring down the culture as a whole. With subpar production and subpar lyrics, why would Hip Hop be trending today anyway? No one is going to be interested in something that just doesn't sound good, so that's why a lot of music fans have moved on to other genres, such as EDM, which has been on a very steady incline.

The Truth

Obviously things change, people move on, and the world keeps on spinning. But in Hip Hop's case, I don't understand how it has moved away from its roots, other than because of the music industry forcing it away with the lure of money. Because if you take a look at the inner city today, where Hip Hop started, poverty and crime are probably worse than ever.

There are tons of news websites that are reporting every day about peoples' struggles and yet there is only a small amount of Hip Hop artists that are representing them - a.k.a. "Underground Hip Hop". What's worse though, is that even the people living in the inner city that are jumping into the Hip Hop game, are not even representing where they came from. Instead, they're faking it and spitting lyrics of fame and fortune because that's what the industry is telling them to do.

Hip Hop is dead.

What Can Be Done?

When I first sat down to write this article, I honestly could not think of something that can be done to fix this situation. It's possible that today's garbage-laced "Hip Hop" can be changed, but it would require a massive movement with hundreds if not thousands of people to get involved, refusing to bow down to the mainstream. There are plenty of dope underground artists that have great lyrics, great production, and great music.

Sadly, their YouTube videos only get a few hundred hits.

Yet Nicki Minaj's "Stupid Hoe" has millions of hits:

There may be some of you that don't think Nicki Minaj should be considered as part of Hip Hop, but according to last night's BET awards, she has now won 5 consective times as the Best Female Hip Hop Artist. Looking at that video (and trying my best not to have a seizure) - it's a shame.

The only way Hip Hop, and I mean REAL Hip Hop can come back and stay, is if we do like Wu-Tang Clan did in 1993 and make Hip Hop better. That year was pivotal because not only was Hip Hop going at full force, it actually improved. Once 1998 came around, there were too many artists, too many labels, and too much money involved. The decline began...

Hip Hop is dead?

Further Reading Related to Hip Hop

Last edited:
Everything goes in cycles. (Q-Tip and Raw Produce)

I agree that my stance is the same as your in that sample based beats/productions and the rapping from the 90s is my favorite hip-hop, but, you are comparing apples to oranges. Sure the new hip hop/rap whatever has influence from the golden era hip-hop but it is a completely different entity altogether.

You have to think about music trends as a whole. Think about big band/swing (40s) then Jazz (50s-60s), rock and roll (60s/70s) Disco (70s) Synth-pop (80s) heavy metal/alternative (80s/90s) etc... These genres, or really in my opinion adjectives, had their time where they were what was "most popular." Then new sounds and new influences come out and that genre still exists yet is not what is considered "popular culture" These genres come into the scene, have their day, and leave some type of footprint in the world of music and leave a "sound" behind. I am in no way saying that jazz, rock, etc... do not exist anymore. What the radio/media/so called decision makers are choosing to feed the masses nowadays, is what people who do not go out of their way to seek out music hear; and in turn becomes what they like.

Consider this: "intellectual hip hop and rap" like some Guru, LoopTroop, Hieroglyphics, or whatever may be considered "intellectual hip-hop" to me or you; where you or I listens to the lyrics and makes an attempt to understand the greater message they are trying to get across. But that same music to someone else who does not enjoy hip-hop music at all, they consider it (c)rap and may feel it has no place in an "intellectual world." Bass and a person speaking/rapping may automatically become associated with drugs/sex/thugs/ghetto/etc... to some.

It is still always just a matter of opinion and that is what music has always been and why it is so free. I think by saying that you expect a different generation of people to want to listen to the same type of music that you listen to (sample based hip-hop as a generalization) is just not plausible.

Anyway, enough rambling, wanted to get some other points out there. I agree that most of the "popular" music today lacks in depth and breadth. I also realize the fact that our culture at the moment is feeding this ADD lifestyle. I love sample based hip-hop, always will, but I cannot tell someone else the music I listen to is better than the music they listen to. I try to take hip-hop for what it is TO ME. A lifestyle, a sound, an emotion, an adjective...

Dope article Fade. You made me think a bit this morning. :)

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha ha, see :)

I guess we just disagree. Sure Kanye is the master at reworking his image but at the same time the content of his work is solid. It certainly is not style over substance like say l Solder boy or lil john. Kanye has fantastic music as well as introspective lyrics on each album. None of it is cookie cutter. Even if you don't like it, I would hope one could see that at least he is pushing the public perception of what hip hop can be.

Sylus

Most genres, all styles, no niche
This is very true; I've been thinking on this for a while.
But I think it's because rappers are trying to hold onto older style beats, while music is progressing wildly, making them out of date by definition.
My strategy, and the strategy I think everyone should have, is to adapt with the times. Producers should be incorporating elements they like from the new trends, and rappers (such as myself) should find ways to make their style blend with all these new genres... or just have a bunch of styles.
The old rap is dying, yes, but we stand a huge chance of success if we can ride the wave better than the rest.

Sampling fees and copyright killed hip hop as we all used to know and love it. The diversity has gone, its become such a narrow artform that its suffocating in its own cliche.
Im not so sure hip hop as it was will ever be back. But I make hip hop because I love it. I try my best without using samples, but its not the same.
I have branched out into different genres and where I used to be a hip hop purist, Ive grown a lot and no longer think that way, limiting my potential and pigeonholing myself. Working for a studio where you arent the boss, and you are making music you dont particularly like opens your eyes to the realities of making music "for a living". When its on your own terms and you are the boss, all is great, but not when you dont have overall creative control.
It is what it is, I think music should be looked at as a whole if you want to make a career out of it, from beatmaking to writing lyrics to mixing and mastering, to being a dj and playing out, there are ways to make a career in music, none of them are easy, they all take dedication and hard work, a career in music isnt the yellow brick road to oz. Chances are, you wont make enough money in music to pay the bills without it being just as much hard work, maybe more than your "normal" career option.

D1G

Beatmaker
It’s a shame. People like 2003-4 MF DOOM with his level of talent need to be recognized instead of fucking..... lil pump (I swear imma go diss him and send it to his twitter account soon). At least there are still SOME good modern mainstream artists like Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, and Run the Jewels. We need a movement... and fast. We can’t let hip hop go the way of Disco - just another relic of it’s time! We need to show that there is talent!

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
big giant fart noise. the future ain't even born yet. we can't see out of our current-day cultural crater, but gotta keep in mind that crater is on a mountain. True, the mountain is in the lowest geographical point and whatnot, but it's a mountain. With that said, you can't deny the crater we're in. Also i think that was a metaphor but who can say really

This is what happens when you have access to as much info, art, content, etc as we do. we don't have the quiet time to let our own ink dry so we identify with what we like.

It's hard to drive forward when you're looking in the rearview mirror tho...

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
big giant fart noise. the future ain't even born yet. we can't see out of our current-day cultural crater, but gotta keep in mind that crater is on a mountain. True, the mountain is in the lowest geographical point and whatnot, but it's a mountain. With that said, you can't deny the crater we're in. Also i think that was a metaphor but who can say really

This is what happens when you have access to as much info, art, content, etc as we do. we don't have the quiet time to let our own ink dry so we identify with what we like.

It's hard to drive forward when you're looking in the rearview mirror tho...
we only embrace the struggle in hindsight, and those that skirt it get the gasface because, well.... think USB vs MIDI. yall don't even know what it was like before ASIO and all that. the struggle gets invalidated as we overcome it, but the battle scars are real. the past is only as dead as you can remember it being alive and the future is coming whether we're ready for how dumb it is or not

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@D1G talent is being shown but the main issue is who is listening and not just hearing as there is a difference between the two actions. I don't listen to commercial radio for current Hip Hop so that's what we all should do: find what we like in other places, which is how Hip Hop has always been.

D1G

Beatmaker
Anthony Fantano says this. Also, I listen to Odd Future, MF DOOM, De La soul, and stuff, but stupid Cardi B and Migos are inescapable!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@D1G Migos and Cardi work for club situations and if you know Hip Hop began as party music both those acts are Hip Hop in that regard but I don't take Cardi serious as an artist because her fame is from Love & Hip Hop which is a reality show that is far from reality.

D1G

Beatmaker
I agree. It’s fine for clubs, but for non club people, they should focus on lyrics too (Lil Xan, 21 Savage, and Lil Pump don’t scream “club” to me, and their lyrics are shit.). What I’m saying is if you are not going for club, you have to be good with lyrics to be good

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
Our we better off as apes or the modern man? Is one more "real" because they can hunt, scavenge, and erect their wet finger in the air and sense wish way the wind is blowing. Evolution! We can raise our balled fist in the air and scream "Curses" those damn millennials or appreciate how we got here and exercise old practices but not dare to "bring back", like when someone say we should bring back the 70's...Really? If you could go back in a time machine most of you wouldn't be able to make beats lol, no fruity loops or auto grid or auto tune or automatic chord maker etc etc. HipHop is not "Dead" its evolved, welcome to the future. I want to point out, "being lyrical". If I want "Real" lyrics, even that phrase its self makes no sense but I would read some Friedrich Nietzsche, Socrates, or Carl Jung. If I repeated in a Hamlet tone, to be or not to be, To Be Or Not To Be, TOOO BEE OOR NOOT TOO BEEee that is the question...its poetic, artful, and entertaining like todays "HipHop". I'm sorry but someone who can jampack a bunch of words together ("Flipping") and say theres a message in it pshhh I say go write a book. I love some Fugees, Wu Tang, Pac, HelterSkelter, Outkast, Devin da Dude, Bone, Bone thugs, 8Ball $ MJG, GhettoBoys, Lil Pump, xxxTentaction, Drake, Etc Etc. Its all "Real" HipHop to me. Depends on my mood wish album or single I play for the day. Lets get off this "HipHop is dead" misery and move on. Maybe I'm a party pooper and this is a EMO party I crashed...Oops...ehh Wrong Door, uh carry on...:help: