Week of April 17, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Visceral
Intro is clean. the chops are nice. used some of the same chops as me, but used them differently. very smoothly put together. that change up at the 40 second mark is nice. Good work man, this is my first time hearing ur stuff and i like it. keep it up.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
AKManilla: this is tight man, i like the loop u choose, and the drums are on point and knockin, very fast pace too, everything is sounding really nice man, good flip

HDbeats: sounds tight man, the chops seem a little off to me with the drums, but i def like the shit u chopped up, and the drums are tight too, i just think it is a little off, but i like it man, keep it up

SoChi: sounds tight man, the chops little sloppy, fuck i think the drums make up for that, this joint is also really fast pace and i like it, good job man

Visceral: oh shit!!!! i am def diggin this joint here, very grimmy feel to it, and teh reverb to the chops is really nice, chops are clean and the drums are knockin, really nice man, def feelin the flip

alright i need to chop up the damn sample and flip something, i have been too busy

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
Visceral Yeah i wanted the bass to stand out yo your shit is cold i loved the way it came in the after intro nice flip switch up is nice too feelin the drum pattern

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
HDBeats

Sup man, this is my first time hearing your stuff. This was cool, the intro was different. I think it works though. This seemed like the soundtrack to one of those black and white movies that is really abstract. Qualitywise this was sick, everything sounded good. Kinda made me depressed an sad though lol. A few clouds just appeared outside my window cuz of this beat lol. Nice work though man, hope you stay tuned to the flips.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Grafik -
haha nice intro, sounds vaguely familiar.
when the beat drops, the drums go hard, and that first note is nice. i like when u start bringin the strings in. You gotta give me a drumkit or sumthin cuz i guess my kick aint strong enough.. and i got like 10gb of drums. This is mellow, eay to listen too, does get repetitive after a while, but i like it.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
grafik my man, whats up?

listenin now.. intro is cool, i'm almost gettin sick of the sadness i keep feelin listenin to all the beats lol. ahh an the beat just dropped, some thick ass drums you got goin on. I like the string work goin on in the background too. It's almost like they swell or something. I also like that "stab" thing that hits on the 1. Shit is dope, wish it was a bit louder though. nothin 2 be said besides the obvious which you've already covered.

cant wait till monday..

dahkter
Sup man, listenin now. this pretty fresh man, i dig it. It's a cool angle that you went on, i like the lil faded/effected/processed hits. Spaces it out in a unique way. The string run at the end of the bar is cool too. Drums hit nicely too, it all meshes well. It's almost like a club joint to me, crazy. Nice work dude.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Hey 5th
Thanks for the kind words.
I really dug your flip on this #8 track as well. I was at a friend's house when we checked it out, and we both looked at each other like - damn, this is hot. I remember the sub bass coming in around 16 bars. Between this and the last flip, really great work.
Looking forward to hearing everyones flips.
EZ,
Jay

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really didn't expect it to be so positive. I've got a few more comments:

Grafik
The way you flipped the sample was unexpected, it's almost unrecognisable (apart from the intro). I suppose that'd be one way to avoid clearing samples. But I'm feeling the beat man, the drums are deep. I can imagine some hardcore vocals'd sound nice on this. And nice one for hooking up the sample in the first place

Dahkter
I like the way you spaced out the chops rather than trying to fill every gap, it gives the beat space to breathe. It sounds kind of old-school (which is a good thing). Proper headnodder. If anything though, I would add a little bassline or something to fill it out more. As it stands though, it's a banger

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Nice

Nice, just listened to the beats, always cool to see how ten people can sample the same record and come up with totally different styles and sounds. Everything I heard was solid, any MC could get on any of these and do work, that's the best compliment, IMO.

Big Rob - great start to this. props for laying down something solid a few hours after hearing the sample too. I thought it was nice and bouncy, I could hear Pharcyde on this.

5th - yeah, as mentioned above, really like the approach. I hear the Dilla/Native Tounges influence, good shit.

Destruc - cool instrumental, reminds me of DJ Krush. that bell is cool, not from the original song though right? it has an SP1200 sort of sound to it, sounded dope.

Litl Hated on - liked the beat and the drums, and the beat and the bass, but would go back and solo the bass and the sample, that could use a little more tweaking IMO.

So Chi - real funky. this is like that Raze song "set it off". definitely a dance floor / breakin / elctro type groove. nice.

Rumixx - fresh, clean , hard, dope.

Sanova - nice theme, nice hats, keys, nice bounce. good dynamics too, high quality.

OH Ten - nice flip, feeling the kik / sn. I would change up the hat a little bit, alter up the velocity, loud/soft, give it some shuffle.

AK - great beat

Gen - werd. dig that sample, XClan and Jungle Brothers used that beat, it's hot and works well with the sample. agree that it has a James Bond feel, dope.

HD - the groove is swingin, I would say to alter up the tone of the hats a bit more.

Visc - nice strong solid head nodding shit

Grafik - nice, dark, heavy, emotional. Real dope.

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Sanova
I missed your beat man, just clocked it now. It sounds a bit dirty south, especially with those fast hi-hats, dunno if you intended that. It sounds sick when the bass comes in and the extra keys, gives it a lot of different layers. Switch-up is nice. Good outro as well. Might be my speakers, but the kick drum sounds really loud. Really well structured though, I'm gonna have a listen to your other beats for sure

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
Dahkter sample flip was fine intro cool to the drums i dunno wasn't really feelin them either u needed a thicker snare or a heavier kick

graveyard nice flip drums were a bit low tho well the kick was but yeah nice change up

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
graveyard, whats up man.

this is a cool flip, the drums were cool an the drop out with them was a good touch. Only thing, I think the sounds didnt have as solid of an arrangement or common direction as they could have. I couldnt get into this one cuz the sample just sounded ugly/unpleasant to listen to lol. I think its somethin we all had to battle with though, just the nature of the sample. You did your thing with it though so nice work bro. See you in next weeks flip.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 152
yeah 5th sequence had some mad EQing troubles
gave up like a pussy in the end

safe for feedback

heres my reviews
pretty much everyone has come up with some good shit so far

Big Rob, nasty shit man, diggin that although drum sounds were not really my ting
like the way u flipped the rest tho

lil don
yeah thought this was nice man, like the random bassline, proper bouncy

sochi
thought this was a bit freaky, not feelin the drums rest is cool although felt very light

Ruimixx
neighbourhood creeper shit

Sanova
Heavy straight away love how it came in, piano adds to it nice
although bass is proper distorted on my speakers, my favourite

AKManilla
Yeah definate James Bond style
Proper murky

HDbeats
Cudnt get yours downloaded

OH Ten
nice man, grimey, tony got on my nerves after a while, goes well tho sounds like it shud go with a gangster movie like that

Visceral
Yeah sick man.. into it

Grafik
decent, very moody

dahkter
yeah this was cool man, original.. sounded fresh

safe

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
You lil don,
Werd on the drums on my beat, I thought they came out kinda thin on this one too. Check out my flip from last week, the drums came out nice and big on that one:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=3799101&q=hi

I also think my wav to MP3 conversion is fucking with my drums, but werd, thanks for the feedback.

In general, I thought this week's sample was a bitch to work with. If I had bought this joint at the goodwill I would have passed and moved onto the next record. Last week's #7 was classic jazz / funk, I could make 100 beats out of that one. This one was much more difficult. Good to step your skills up though....

EZ
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online