tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
tricky spinz: very very nice flip man, i am loving those strings, and teh reverb u added to them, very dark and grimmy the drums are tight, only thing i would suggest is maybe a different snare, someting with a little more substance, but other than that the track is def on point, def came through with another serious flip this week, good job man, keep up the good work homie.........................................

Updated Flip

Just added a bit to my five minute flip, now its a 30 minute flip. Took your advice Grafik and changed the bass. Your right it didnt work. And lowered the highs.
Ive also added a couple of instruments. Let me know what you think.
http://www.dj2good.co.uk/sampleflip.php

Im still having trouble with myspace, its forever buffering and never playing.
Sorry cant listen to myspace tunes at the moment, ill try and sort it out asap.

Nice im liking this flip. I have to remember less is more. Im always overdoing it. The change ups are phat. The strings have a lot of frequency coverage. Very powerful strings and ill effects you have applid too.

This is a good flip. I like the sound to the violins. They sound off key, very dark. And again keep it simple is the order of the day. I will get my head around that one day. Nice one.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
alright, REVIEW TIME!!!!

from the top...

Artistix: let's see, i think it's too chaotic. there is just a lot of really fast movement going on and i think it's too much to keep up with all of it. i think you've got some really good ideas in there and i really like some the chops. like, the part at 1:30 and 1:43. i'm really diggin that. i think a different bass choice would be better too. all in all it's got some good stuff i like, but it just feels way too rushed.

Knoxraw: i don't think the bass line fits with the chops. the pitch sounds off. the chops aren't bad, but the bass just throws it all off. and it feels so empty. i know you said you threw it together real quick, but it needs more. it's just too empty.

Grafik: i think your chops are good, but some of the time they don't go together. you've got the 2 layered slices but they just don't mesh well pitch wise. sometimes they fit very nicely like between 40-47 seconds. that sounds real nice. i think part of it might be the bass too. i think the pitch on the bass might need some tweaking. i know i had a lot of problems getting pitches to match myself, that's why this flip took me longer. i think it's just the underlying parts you have going with the melody. the pitches don't match up with that of the melody, i think. but some parts sound great. the percussion works, but i'd layer some more sounds. try layering like, 2 kicks and 2 snares for some added depth and punch and shit like that.

Kev31: ok, not really feelin the percussion. the arrangement is fine, but not the sound choices. that snare mainly, i would definitely change that. i think the chops are good, but don't drop them out so much. it's the only real substance to the beat. your chop arrangement is good, but the beat just feels so empty. you need some more layering of slices. or add your own part underneath it.

Emeezy: at first those strings feel very rushed. the chop arrangement is good, but it felt real fast when i first listened. the percussion is good, and the bass is ok. adds a little depth which is nice. now that i've listened through a few times i've gotten used to the speed of the strings so it doesn't feel as rushed. alright, i just turned this shit way up and now i'm feelin it. because you didn't mix it and all the levels are kinda low when i really turn it up it sounds much better, especially now that i'm used to the strings. solid piece, those chops are really bangin now. good one.

2Good : aight this is nice and full which i like. i'd choose a different snare, or raise the pitch. give something a little sharper. i think the bass fits ok. what you've written for the bass fits, it's just a matter of sound choice. although, it seems fine. those chops are nice. i'm really feelin this. nice job on this.

Slik da Relic : ok, i like the chops. the bass line is good, and the percussion is ill. this is a real nice flip. i really don't have much to say. it's sick. i'm really feelin this. keep it up.

Ruimixx: not really feelin the percussion. especially that stutter thing. it just sounds off. the chops are ok, but don't always seem to fit with the bassline and each other. i dunno, i'm just not really feelin this joint. i don't really have any suggestions. i think other shit you've done is a lot better.

BigD- interesting. i'm kinda likin it. i think the chops are good, but could have been put together a little better in parts. that part between 10-15 seconds sounds real nice and i'd like to hear more of that. but it sounds too empty when you drop out all those slices for so long. the percussion is good. i'm feelin that. i'm likin that part at 40 seconds. this fits much more nicely. this is much better. got a little layering which adds some depth. that's good. there's some parts that i'm really feelin, and some other parts i'm not diggin as much. you've got a lot of different sections goin on and each section kinda has a different vibe. some of them i really like but others not so much. basically, i would just go back through, pick out the sections that you like best and that fit together the best and take out the ones that have vibes that don't fit with the rest. you've got some really good ideas in there, you just need to weed out the ones that don't fit and what you'll have left is a really solid piece. i'm really diggin the creativity and all the different melodies and shit you've got going on.

Carpe Diem - aight. the percussion is good. the piece has a real dark vibe. the chops are put together very nicely. for whatever reason i'm not feelin the overall sound of this piece as much, even though it's well put together. i think it's just the vibe, i'm not in the right kind of mood for this piece right now. somethin like that. cuz it's well done, but i'm just not getting into it.

Kaivai : that piano sounds way too raw. it needs some effects on it. i'm likin the bass a lot and the percussion is good. that piano is just way too prominent and like "in your face." you need to back it off some. the samples fit in nicely with the rest of what you have composed, but i'd like to have seen you use more of them. there was so much to work with and you only used a very small amount. the piano melody is good. i like this, but that piano needs some altering. overall it's a good beat but just needs some tweaking

lon chainy : this is real nice. the chops you chose are real nice and i'm feelin them. very nicely put together. the drums work fine with what else you've got going. the bass works too. nothing too complex. the beat is simple, but i like it. nice one. no real suggestions except maybe try to add some change ups in there.

EDIT

2Good, both pieces sounded identical to me. i think you uploaded the same track twice.

Thanks Relic. Im really feeling Blood in the Water & Walk with Me. Breeze is an ill mc. Sounds like a cross between Eminem and Bubba Sparxxx. I would play these tunes. Nice one.

I have added another version to my sampleflips. Completely different this time.
Im not too sure about it tho. The same link applies.

ill o.g.
None from me this week. I started the chops, but I don't have access to my keyboard 'cause shit's being done with the house.

I didn't want to be dragging stuff out on the piano roll like last week, lol.

Reviews sometime tonight or tomorrow.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Reviews:

Artistix - nice intro, nice use of kettle drums too. very symphonic, cool.

Grafik - really really nice, got a nice jazzysound too it, well done.

Knox Raw - nice composition (beats/samples). the bass didn't quite work with the sample IMO

Kev31 - nice music, nice tone, a bit rigid (heavily quantized)

Emeezy - really dug it, great use of the sample, nice beat

2good - really liked that Pt2 with the analog synth and the dry beat, super dope

Slik da Relic - nice groove, Southern feel, cool shit - BK represent

Ruimixx - always dig hearing your beats, really nice. My only call would be to remove or drastically lower those 16th hats that come in, I would prefer it minimal. Fucking dope though, thanks for dropping the science.

BigDTraxx - Nice groove, the fact that you dropped it in twenty minutes is impressive (usually takes me 3-4 hrs to make a beat from start to finish). The triggering of the sample sounded slightly rushed and frenetic, could be a little more chill and breathe a bit more, IMO.

Carpe Diem - really like your style bro. Your Flack flip last week was off the hook. This Beethoven one is also tight, (although not as solid as last weeks). I like where you filterd it out for a couple of beats at 46 seconds, that was the pinnacle for me. Good shit, keep coming with the bangers...

Kaivai - nice sounding piece, would have liked to hear more of the sample and less piano IMO.

Lon Chainey - fucking dope, real picturesque, nice work

Tricky Spinz - really nice use of the sample, nice groove too. Drums could use some layering or effects, sounded a little dry and clean to me. Overall joint front to back was still fire though, nice beginning/middle/end.

Thanks everyone for flipping, really enjoyed hearing all of these. This site has some dope talent, very happy to be involved.

EZ
Dahkter

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
dahkter - i'm diggin that percussion definitely, that's some good shit. i wish you'd used more of the sample. i feel like it had a lot to offer and you really only used those 2 slices and the beat feels a little empty without anything esle there. the bassline is so low i can barely hear it over the drums so it is really doing very little. i would maybe up it a little so that you can at least hear that it's there. cuz it just gets swallowed up by the kick. and then do some more cutting and chopping and throw some more of the sample in. what you've got is aight, but if you just put some more time into it and added some more to it that'd be good.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Thanks Tricky,
All good points, I didn't really take enough time to get the levels tight or elaborate on the melody (use more slices). Like most of us, finding time to do this is the most difficult part. So yeah, will definitely strive to keep improving the beats, appreciate the feedback.

Later
Jay

ill o.g.
Artistix: The chops don't seem to match the groove of the drums.

KnoxRaw: Nice chops, I like the portion you picked. The bassline sounds a bit out of tune with the sample, I don't know if that's just me or not.

Grafik: ILLLL! I like that middle note you have going throughout the loop, it gives the sound a lot of depth. The changeups starting at 1:43 are really interesting and also well executed. Another Grafik classic.

Kev31: Real nice chops. I'd try and get those drums that are in the original sample out of the way though, maybe through EQ or something. I like how you retrigger the notes in certain parts, it gives the track some intensity.

Emeezy: nice, but I'd try and add a break at some point.

2Good: (May8thnumber2) The sample sounds a little distorted, maybe stretched a bit far. Good though. (Beethoven Sample Flippt2) Nice, I personally don't like the synth sounds though, they sound a bit too spacey for the organic/classical feel of the sample. (May8thBeethoven) Bass is nice in this one. Your drums are fairly solid in all three, kudos.

Ruimixx: Ayyy, I definitely was not expecting something with this sort of a sound. Creative & ill.

BigD: Nice chops, a lot of changeups but that's generally good for instrumentals anyway if you don't want your audience to get bored of loops. A few of them bleed a bit too noticeably, but nice overall.

Carpe Diem: Slow, dark, brooding. I like it. That bassline is something serious. Nice little dropout at about :45.

Kiavai: drums either seem to sit too far back in the mix or they are simply too airy sounding. I like the violin chop a lot. Very ambient, which I always appreciate. Just try and work out that low end a bit more, fam.

LonChainy: Very dark and grimy, sounds like an oldschool horrorcore track or something. Cool.

TrickySpinz: Haha, "Beathoven." Nice. Right from the get go, I'm liking the richness and depth you bring to the sample. This is quality, just like last week's flip. The drums seem a bit far back in the mix though.

Dahkter: You know your drums, man. Nice pattern. Can't really hear the bassline over the kick, but your drums are sitting well in the mix beyond that. Nice chops.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dahkter - Aw man, you murdered this one!!!! I fuckin dig those drums. I like how you chopped up the violin, and with that bass you could do no wrong! LOL! Good job man!

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
2good: second version sounds a whole lot cleaner the previous, i think you should add some more bass, that bass you had in the last one didnt really fit to well with the track, although i dont like the sub kick you got going on, or turn up the bass in the track, and i think it will be complete, everything else is sounding great, good flip man

dahkter: haha, nice flip, you used the sample piece i used in my track, i am loving the drums you used, that break is dirty, but like tricky said i think you need to use more of the sample, i dont like when there is dead space like that, but i love that violin, that is my fav part of the sample as well, i think just add a couple more chops and you will be set, but everything else sounds really good, good flip man, feelin it!

did i get everyone this week? if not let me know and i will review your track!

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
DeStruc/Ruimixx,
Really appreciate the feedback. For these flips I basically focus on the drums. Once I get a simple melody going with the chops, I just try to make it bounce and make the head nod and the booty shake.
Glad y'all were feeling it.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Artistix: i like the drums, u picked real good pieces to use... i like the beginning pieces alot. seems to get lost a little, but overall a good job.

Knox: i like those violin pieces, that snare is on point! i think the bassline could be better... needs a little finetunin, thats all.

Graf: another bangin snare!!! nice, suttle beat... u smashed it! all the pieces work.

Kev31: third bangin snare in a row, daamn! this beat is nice... i like the changes, beat can be more diverse, but i like it anyway!

emeezy: 4th snare in a row that i like. this has never happened b4...lol...i like the pattern also, i like the way its setup. no complaints here.

2good: okay, no more snare worship... noone's halfsteppin this week. i like the overall beat, but i think the first bass sound should be a different sound... like it though.

Ruimixx: yo, this is crazy! u r really testin ur fx now... this is almost ready... i think u should work on the drums more. but i like the pieces used.

Big: i think theres alot of potential here... not sure u wanna use every chop in this song...u can make 3 songs from the samples used.... the drums r on point.

Carpe: those chops r ill pieces... beat is nice... i would add a change up or bridge. i think thats all it needs.

Kavai: u on some Jason shit!!! get Marshall Mathers on this trak yo...lol... i like it.

Lon Chainy: yo, this is real nice... i like the Bassline, and the other keyboard sound as well...the change up sample is cool also... good job.

Tricky: that reverb is crazy! the chopped hits are killer! i like this... everyone's doin real good on this one. those triples are crazy too.

Dahkter: the drums r crazy, i like these pieces... this song didnt have any bad sections... u can flip any part with no trouble.

100 posts!!! its a celebration bitches!!! wheres my Avatar??!!!

da relic

Status
Not open for further replies.