Why do you believe in religion?

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Atheist

Why ? I believe religion is a CRUTCH for weak people that fall back on it as a saftey net
to feel comfortable and give them an excuse ... Also praying (About age 13 and back) never did anything ... Nothing
I have earned and accomplished to this day in life has been givin to me be a so called "God".

I've have worked hard and earned it all myself and will continue to do so with no help.
Food on my table comes from working and purchasing it with hard earned money. My business
accomplishments come from me working hard and creating what I am now running by myself.

I refuse to thank a high power that has nothing to do with wht I earn/accomplish ... I believe
when we die we go in a coffin like most and thats it our bodies rot and that is all like the rest
of the living things that die/rot ntohing more nothing less.

As for explaining where/how everything came from we have just not discovered that part of
science yet that is all ... If we can fly thru space it can be figured out once day or maybe their
is nothing to figure out at all and its just an anomaly that we think something could have created
all of this.
But I shall never believe someone waived their hands for 7 days and made stuff
an then got angry and wanted to get rid of us and someone took the wrap and etc of the whole
jesus story.

T

The Arkitekt

good videos Stress, on the "Carlin on politically incorrect", lots of good points brought. Carlin got that woman who believes in god to say she doesnt believe in him haha

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Nothing I have earned and accomplished to this day in life has been givin to me be a so called "God".
I've have worked hard and earned it all myself and will continue to do so with no help.
Food on my table comes from working and purchasing it with hard earned money. My business
accomplishments come from me working hard and creating what I am now running by myself.
I feel you man, and most religious people will try to attach an existential meaning to why these things happened for you in your life but Im with you all the way.
What you've achieved in life is a direct result of the actions you've committed throughout your days of point A to point B, not some magic powers that put you here.

One of the most powerful things that ive come to recognize that we all have in life is CHOICE. Whether it be a domino effect, good, or bad. We all have choices which directly effect our lives and others surrounding us.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Religion is cool if that's your thing. If it makes you a better person, or makes you feel amazing, then good for you.

But for me, I think it's overrated. I sort of believe in it but not really because it's pretty much all stuff that we can't necessarily prove. Walking on water? I'm Catholic but I haven't been to church since my teens. Maybe one day I'll start going again but right now I can't see that happening.

It's very hard to follow/believe in something without hard evidence.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Has anyone seen the movie Religulous yet? I haven't seen it, but it seems interesting and kind of along the same lines of this thread.

Yup Its funny if you keep an open mind and just understand hes asking real questions and looking for real answers. I can see people getting offended quickly though cause he is pretty direct with the questions.

I think there was politicians of those early days seeking political control of the people so they somehow replaced actual sun worship with the worship and adoration of Jesus Christ..."Gods Sun or son" (which could've been mans attempt to equal or match God in status). The council of Nicea had alot to do with rewriting the word.

They even made the sabbath day on Sunday...and Saturday is clearly the 7th day of the week. One of the ten commandments is remember the sabbath day and keep it holy...sounds like Jewish law also....the confusion is there so....?

In the early days of christianity it was side by side with pagan religions for hundreds of years, xmas, easter and halloween are all pagan rituals.
Christianity was adapted to make it more appealing to the pagans so they would accept it and convert.
As for the story of christ, symbolically its the story of a year in the life of the sun. The sun of god.
Many aspects of christs life can be attributed back long before christ was ever supposed to have existed.
Like Moses his life story is a carbon copy of Dieties that came before him.
There are parts of the life of Jesus that mirror that of Apollo, and others that I cant recall. But there are at least ten dieties that share the same attributes and stories as Jesus.
I personally think that with the fall of the roman empires military might, a new doctrine was created in Christianity as a new non violent method of controlling people, but then how many people then died as a result of religious zealots.
Christianity was forced on the world on the end of a sword, how can there be anything righteous about that?
As for your point about days of the week.. Sunday is called sunday because its the suns day.
Monday is moon day, Thursday is thors day, saturday is saturns day, im not sure of the others but its all pagan ritual.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
In the early days of christianity it was side by side with pagan religions for hundreds of years, xmas, easter and halloween are all pagan rituals.
Christianity was adapted to make it more appealing to the pagans so they would accept it and convert.
As for the story of christ, symbolically its the story of a year in the life of the sun. The sun of god.
Many aspects of christs life can be attributed back long before christ was ever supposed to have existed.
There are parts of the life of Jesus that mirror that of Apollo, and others that I cant recall. But there are at least ten dieties that share the same attributes and stories as Jesus.
I personally think that with the fall of the roman empires military might, a new doctrine was created in Christianity as a new non violent method of controlling people, but then how many people then died as a result of religious zealots.
Christianity was forced on the world on the end of a sword, how can there be anything righteous about that?
As for your point about days of the week.. Sunday is called sunday because its the suns day.
Monday is moon day, Thursday is thors day, saturday is saturns day, im not sure of the others but its all pagan ritual.

Dope post. That explains a hell of a lot.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68

thanks for putting that out there like that. Its what needs t be understood.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
Alrighty, here goes nothing.

I believe in the gospel message, that Jesus Christ was sent as the sacrifice for the salvation of man, fully God, fully human. I'm like Relic on this matter, that I'm a Christian, with Earth as my denomination.

I can honestly say that my reason to believe in God is because of the fact that I have lived my life out to this point and still can't deny him. I've tried time and time again to deny my beliefs, to look at a life without a such thing as a God and it's just not possible for me.

I can also say it's not because I was raised up in a Christian home. That did nothing for me. If anything, it turned Christianity in the first half of my life into a routine. I didn't realize what I actually believed until I reached my early teens.

I see this current age full of the most advanced technology, and the fact that Christianity is actually flourishing, rather than diminishing as it was originally proposed.

I have seen the difference between how Christians and non-Christians act in the same scenarios. I believe this is why God allows such pain in the world, to show the difference in two people who go through the same pain.

I believe that most of the so-called "Christians" that you have seen which turned you away from belief in God aren't actually "Christians" at all. I believe that salvation isn't an easy thing to achieve.

I've seen all the arguments for and against God, and how it turns into an everlasting circle. The fact that Christianity is still thriving right now when there are so many advancements around the world absolutely amazes me.

I believe because I can't deny. I've tried. I try everyday. Still, today, I am a Christian.

co sign.

I guess I could see how some people use Religion as a crutch.... but honestly to be a Christian is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It means making a complete turn around in the way you think, act, speak, and feel. I wouldn't say it is in a "control" manner, because you always have the freedom to stop, but it basically holds accountability over you.

I've thought long and hard about this, and even with the Christian belief aside, I still can't deny that there is a God. There are to many wonders in the world, and perfections in the way things work to deny that there is a God.

In my experience, when people don't believe in God, it always seems to be the result of some bitterness against Religious people or just flat out against God. For example they say "if there is a God then why did he let (fill in the blank) happen to me." or they say "most Religious people are Hypocrites."

Which is crazy because we all seem to put our faith, or the validity of our beliefs in man. If man was the cause of whatever happened to the first example, or man is the "religious" hypocrite, then how is it God's fault? Religious people are human to, and humans are not perfect and have free will to decide whatever they want.
God gave man "Free Will" and that to me is the reason for so many others not understanding or believing in him.

If you look at it though, there is no "wrong" in what God intended for us. All the ten commandments are just basics about being a good person. When Jesus came, he raised those standards, but didn't expect people to not mess up, and that is the reason for the sacrifice.
I'm not trying to preach to anyone here, but from a reasonable stand point, you can't blame God for anything.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
In my experience, when people don't believe in God, it always seems to be the result of some bitterness against Religious people or just flat out against God. For example they say "if there is a God then why did he let (fill in the blank) happen to me." or they say "most Religious people are Hypocrites."

I think people like that are not basing their choice of religion correctly. Just because they think that the idea of god is to give happyness or a house, car, money etc. or that something went bad in their life and its gods fault. Thats just stupid. If you asked me why I dont believe in the Bible or any religion I would give a answer that is based off logic not bad luck.

All the ten commandments are just basics about being a good person. When Jesus came, he raised those standards, but didn't expect people to not mess up, and that is the reason for the sacrifice.
I'm not trying to preach to anyone here, but from a reasonable stand point, you can't blame God for anything.

The 10 Commandments are very dim on being a good person. Its more about God smitting you if you dont believe in him or if you believe in someone else ...which raises questions about people who believe in other religions, but are good people...

All in all what ever keeps you in check to be a decent person then thats all that matters!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83

Wednesday is based on that girl from Adams family right?
Tuesday because its the second day of the week.
Friday beracuse thats when we have fish fry's.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I think people like that are not basing their choice of religion correctly. Just because they think that the idea of god is to give happyness or a house, car, money etc. or that something went bad in their life and its gods fault. Thats just stupid. If you asked me why I dont believe in the Bible or any religion I would give a answer that is based off logic not bad luck.

Just out of curiosity, what is your Logic for not believing?

The 10 Commandments are very dim on being a good person. Its more about God smitting you if you dont believe in him or if you believe in someone else

as for the 10 commandments, The first 4 had to do with idol worship yes, which at the time was a huge problem, people were selling statues of Gold and saying that they could heal you and that they were God. If I was the one who created all these people then they made some statue and worshiped it, I would be pissed to.lol... but from 5 to 10 it was all about how you should live. Like don't kill, and don't steal, ect.. Those are pretty basic rules to being a good person IMHO.

...which raises questions about people who believe in other religions, but are good people...
this is where Christianity gets the heat, because there is NO other way. It is my belief that if you deny Jesus as the Christ, then he will deny you when judgment day comes. Also, that Jesus is the only way to eternal life. That is not me trying to preach at anyone or anything, but just how It is. This life isn't only about being a "good person" because most people live their life with there own standards of what a good person is.

The best way I can explain it all is that God wants a relationship with everyone. That is why the church is called "The Bride of Christ" It is like a marriage, and you basically are married to God.
In my marriage personally, I don't just want my wife to be a "good person," but I want her to actually love me, and show me she loves me, and talk to me, and listen to me.ect... That is what helped me get a stronger understanding of my relationship with God, because in turn, that is all he wants from us. That is why I say I am not religious, but I have a relationship with God.

any way, I don't want to take the thread over with only my beliefs because it was about religion in general, but this is what I personally believe.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Just out of curiosity, what is your Logic for not believing?

as for the 10 commandments, The first 4 had to do with idol worship yes, which at the time was a huge problem, people were selling statues of Gold and saying that they could heal you and that they were God. If I was the one who created all these people then they made some statue and worshiped it, I would be pissed to.lol... but from 5 to 10 it was all about how you should live. Like don't kill, and don't steal, ect.. Those are pretty basic rules to being a good person IMHO.

this is where Christianity gets the heat, because there is NO other way. It is my belief that if you deny Jesus as the Christ, then he will deny you when judgment day comes. Also, that Jesus is the only way to eternal life. That is not me trying to preach at anyone or anything, but just how It is. This life isn't only about being a "good person" because most people live their life with there own standards of what a good person is.

The best way I can explain it all is that God wants a relationship with everyone. That is why the church is called "The Bride of Christ" It is like a marriage, and you basically are married to God.
In my marriage personally, I don't just want my wife to be a "good person," but I want her to actually love me, and show me she loves me, and talk to me, and listen to me.ect... That is what helped me get a stronger understanding of my relationship with God, because in turn, that is all he wants from us. That is why I say I am not religious, but I have a relationship with God.

any way, I don't want to take the thread over with only my beliefs because it was about religion in general, but this is what I personally believe.

Too many things in Christianity resemble paganism, numerous tales of gods before Jesus hold the same traditional stories like walked on water, born of a virgin, performed miracles etc. list can go on.

Various versions of the bible being reworded and phrased differently seem to me to be unethical to be a holy book of a god. I could go off!!! On the many flaws in this religion which could also go into other religions and their many flaws also. I wont go to far into details cause I am at work and dont think this is the best time to write a novel..

Like I said before, whatever you believe in is your choice, just as long as it makes you a better person. I was raised Christian and seen no difference to follow a religion of faith to be happy Then to be religion free. I am fully capable of being happy with out it. I will never pressure someone to not believe in their faith and I always ask the same.

T

The Arkitekt

Those are pretty basic rules to being a good person IMHO.

Why would you need god or the bible to tell you that?

this is where Christianity gets the heat, because there is NO other way. It is my belief that if you deny Jesus as the Christ, then he will deny you when judgment day comes.

sorry but that is very narrow minded. If someone halfway around the world that is jewish in an area with a jewish culture does a life of bad things and does things that go against jesus's ways of the proper life, will jesus send them to hell? or people if the many of the other religions. And if jesus does, why should jesus be more powerful than a deity of another religion?

If god wants a relationship with everyone, why doesn't he try to have a relationship with me? Or any of the other millions of people that don't believe in him or believe in another religion or deity? God obviously never talked to anyone before except through these so called "actions" (only actions and events) that are 100% capable of happening otherwise and do not require a divine power (please prove me wrong). Sure there are people that claim they have talked to god and got answers back. There is also people that are proven to be mentally insane and see things/hear things, people that are complete liars, list goes on.

That is what helped me get a stronger understanding of my relationship with God, because in turn, that is all he wants from us.

Please explain relationship... a relationship requires more than 1 person/thing/etc. Has he answered you back in ways other than actions that you consider "miracles" which can 100% be a coincidence? How do you know what he wants from us? Did he tell you? Did a man made book such as the bible tell you?

It's all good.

I am not trying to bash you in any way with this post nor did I take offense to your post, so please don't take offense to mine.

The purpose of this thread was to see others views on this and to open people minds a little bit. By saying "open peoples minds a little bit", I don't mean i'm trying to change anyones belief... simply helping out.. a closed mind is bad and will hold you back

samuelock

I want Funnel Cake.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
Time to add another two cents...

Well, I really don't think that the Crusades were the reason why Christianity, or rather Catholicism is flourishing today. Like Relic said, people will take any belief and use it to spread terror and pain. For example:

Christianity - The Crusades
Atheism - Russian and Chinese governmental oppression through Communism
Buddhism - Shintoist Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor, facilitating the US's involvement in WWII
Islam - Modern Middle Eastern wars, suicide bombings

Also, if the Pagan beliefs really were the root of Christianity, wouldn't it make sense for Christianity to have already become null and void a long, long time ago? I mean, I for one would completely disband my beliefs if I saw such evidence, as you say. But the fact of the matter is that this gospel of Jesus is spreading, and actually flourishing in this age of modern technology and thought.

And also, let me ask you guys this...if you were born somewhere in the heart of Iran, raised up in a completely traditional Islam family, would you even have a doubt in your mind if there was a god?

And you know there's that simple argument:

"God, why do you allow such pain in the world? It's not fair."
"Well, what the heck are YOU doing about that pain except complaining to me!"

I know that this discussion will keep going in circles. If I may, here's a video of Tim Keller, a renowned Apologist having a talk at Google for his book, "The Reason for God"

If you have time, please watch that...it can answer some questions that I really can't answer much better.

I'm not trying to push what I believe, but I just wanted to say that it's really not just on faith alone for me.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Sorry, I have to say something that some of you may not like. If you think that means you, feel free to skip this post.

Forgive my bluntness but you are straight up wrong. The belief that "mine" is the only way is the main cause, (or excuse), of all the bullshit perpetrated in the name of religion: The crusades - Christians couldn't bear the thought of their Holy Land under the control of "Heathens"; Islamic Terrorism - Infidels are wrong so it's okay to blow them up ect etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Seriously that is the most ignorant thing anyone of any belief can say. Jesus the man never, never, never, said anything like that. He never said that unbelievers would be punished; He never said his way was the only way; in fact he never said he was the Son of God at all. He stressed his humanity above all: "I am the Son of Man", (sound familiar?). You just cheapen his message by attaching bullshit like that to it.

@Sameulock - It is indeed astounding that Christianity has survived in its current form for so longbut nevertheless it's pagan origins are real and easy to discern for anyone capable of going to a library and doing a little reading on the subject. I'd say its more a testament to the general ignorance of people that organised religions can twist a beautiful message into it's almost complete opposite and people will flock to hear their fears and prejudices being pandered to. "I knew thos Jews, Greeks, Egyptians were wrong 'cause I never liked them in the first place. They're too different from me and they smell funny".

How can God condemn you to eternal punishment if his Love is infinite, only you can condemn yourself. Human suffering is caused by humans not God.

Pagan deities whose stories are remarkably similar to Jesus' include but are not limited to: Mithra, Dionysus, Horus, (called the KRST by the Egyptians well before Jesus' time), Krshna, Attis, Prometheus and a Norse one whose name escapes me. Look it up.

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"

Awaiting your hatred,

Love
M.Sincock

members online