Beat This! - July 27-28, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Disagree

Peace

@Iron Keys You should be comfortable taking L's by now. To his point, I will say that we all interpret things differently. These themed battles sometimes aren't specific enough to criticize someone on samples or melodies alone. For battles that are themed by use of a specific instrument, those are more black and white. I'm not going to use a flute sample if the theme is pianos.

GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Re the Trap discussion

It's quite simple...
Someone gets into "oh i wanna make type beats" goes on youtube downloads the same sounds copies same thing starts making generic trap/type beat.
Signs up to beatmaking forum, hears a well produced trap beat: "omg 808s. Omg hihat rolls. This is fire"

I checked into a few sample flip competitions (open to all genres), every time you would get about 10+ "trap/drill" submissions... which would literally just be the unedited sample with trap drums put underneath... and very often... out of tune 808s.
Now still, all the trap kids in the comments would respond "omg this beat is fire :fire: "
Luckily the judges called it all out for what it was.

Now that's pretty much what happens... type beat makers or fans get excited any time they hear 808s and hihat rolls.

Now me personally, I think those things sound cool but there's only so many times you can hear the exact same sounds used in exactly the same way. Even when something more unique comes out that catches my attention, I'm already kinda tired of it.
Ive got to chime in in the interest of balance here, its quite ironic that you mention these things being as you are a westcoast dre/storch type beatmaker.
It would be fair enough a comment if your own music was more diverse, but its not. Dont get me wrong, you make dre type beats very very well. But they are of a type beat from 20+ years ago, cant really criticise those making type beats that people are listening to right now.
People who spend their whole musical process trying to sound like somebody else has always confused me.
I understand taking influences and bringing them into your OWN sound, otherwise its just biting.

The boom bap vs trap debate is dead for me now, ultimately its the listeners that decide whats good or not, not the person making it. We have to live with the opinions of those that decide our fate. Thats how competitions work.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@Iron Keys You should be comfortable taking L's by now. To his point, I will say that we all interpret things differently. These themed battles sometimes aren't specific enough to criticize someone on samples or melodies alone. For battles that are themed by use of a specific instrument, those are more black and white. I'm not going to use a flute sample if the theme is pianos.

GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

The only letter in your resume is L

No wonder you're wo obsessed with Ls, it's the only thing you know.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Ive got to chime in in the interest of balance here, its quite ironic that you mention these things being as you are a westcoast dre/storch type beatmaker.
No, I'm not.

It would be fair enough a comment if your own music was more diverse,
My music is probably one of the most diverse here - I've posted trap (my very first submission), west coast, drill, boom bap, 2000s, chip, dilla, R&B. And I've regularly varied - my recent Warzone W had 2 boom baps, 1 trap, 1 "dre style" if you want to stretch it to that.

To claim otherwise you're merely just chatting utter shit.

But they are of a type beat from 20+ years ago, cant really criticise those making type beats that people are listening to right now.

I was talking to @TWU (i think) a day ago on discord --- like I've said, back in the day I used to make Dre / Storch style beats cause to me, that's how music should sound, BUT LIKE I SAID, I made the decision to stop doing so because: dre and storch already exist. I think @DPrezd Beggar was also present in this convo.

So yes I can criticise people making type beats. I criticise myself all the time. I'm free to criticise who the fuck I want.

I'm not even the one who's moaning about trap - I just offered an explanation.

Go moan at the ones who brought it up instead of your nonsense fabricated arguments.

VVS

Banned
Trap/drill music to me is like reggaeton music. Same repetitive ass drum patterns with the same drum, 808, snare and hi hat samples overlaid with a synth or real instruments. It's unfortunate where hip-hop is today but it has to evolve and will continue evolving. I miss the 90's where you could tell producers apart and they each had a "unique" sound (Timbaland, Neptunes, Just Blaze, Primo). The internet and sampling websites in particular have made it easy for bedroom producers to download loops to build a song or lookup tutorials on how to produce trap beats. I'm all for sampling, but the art and skill is lost when you piece together a beat with all paid or free loops.

With that being said...when it comes to battles, I will bet that over 50% of the time a high energy and high bpm beat which is usually trap/drill will win over a boom-bap, west-coast, east-coast, chill, etc. So yeah, what's the point of going up the usual suspects that produce trap/drill exclusively when you know what the people on this board prefer?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Trap/drill music to me is like reggaeton music. Same repetitive ass drum patterns with the same drum, 808, snare and hi hat samples overlaid with a synth or real instruments. It's unfortunate where hip-hop is today but it has to evolve and will continue evolving. I miss the 90's where you could tell producers apart and they each had a "unique" sound (Timbaland, Neptunes, Just Blaze, Primo). The internet and sampling websites in particular have made it easy for bedroom producers to download loops to build a song or lookup tutorials on how to produce trap beats. I'm all for sampling, but the art and skill is lost when you piece together a beat with all paid or free loops.

With that being said...when it comes to battles, I will bet that over 50% of the time a high energy and high bpm beat which is usually trap/drill will win over a boom-bap, west-coast, east-coast, chill, etc. So yeah, what's the point of going up the usual suspects that produce trap/drill exclusively when you know what the people on this board prefer?

First comment I've seen from @Amnesia that was decent to my eyes.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Zzz

stats and responses say otherwise.
Dude, move on. After EVERY FUCKING BATTLE you complain about everything:

• I didn't win.
  • I didn't place.
  • Nobody gave me feedback.
  • Maybe battling is not for me.
  • I think I'm done.
  • This is my last battle.
  • This might be my last battle.
  • I made the best beat ever.
  • I should have place at least 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th.
  • etc
  • rinse and repeat
Then when you DO get feedback you just disagree with everyone. I gave feedback awhile ago and mentioned it had that West Coast vibe and you were all "IT'S NOT WEST COAST". Then other people say "bro, your beats are West Coast" and you're all "IT'S NOT WEST COAST". That's like everyone telling you your zipper is down and you refuse to look.

You know what? You're not allowed to battle anymore. You just ruin it every time the results come out. As usual, instead of everyone talking about the beats and celebrating the beat that won, instead it's all complain complain complain and it always ends with you deflecting feedback and saying it's your last battle.

Move on already and let the rest of us actually enjoy these battles.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
You know what? You're not allowed to battle anymore.
Naaah, cmon man, next battle this stuff will be forgotten anyways. I mean you re Admin but cmon, thats not they way imo. Its hot outside ppl spend too much time inside n shit.
I think we all cool and nobodys really affected by it to a point they say "fk ill its too negative", i think.

Atleast im not, ya ll free to write down if ya ll affected by this, be real.

Naaah, cmon man, next battle this stuff will be forgotten anyways. I mean you re Admin but cmon, thats not they way imo. Its hot outside ppl spend too much time inside n shit.
I think we all cool and nobodys really affected by it to a point they say "fk ill its too negative", i think.

Atleast im not, ya ll free to write down if ya ll affected by this, be real.
I found it very draining a long time ago. It just takes away the attention from the person that actually won. Its pathetic, its just attention seeking bullshit.
Thats my opinion. Like Iron expresses his, Im expressing mine. Its ruined too many competitions, grow up or dont battle, its that simple.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Why bother? Every single time he says he's not going to battle anymore. Ok then, don't.
Just Iron things i guess, i mean hes talking about getting a new comp for years and still didnt.

I mean just to say "okay you re not allowed to battle", can we maybe have a poll on this? So you know how ppl really feel about it, maybe everyones discussing here and "beefing" but they dont give a real shit, you know? Just sayin, dont want to start a beef about your decisions tho. :brofist:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Maybe @Fade you should start "ILL SPILL" as a therapy sesh for ILL members as @Iron Keys is the @OGBama of battling.

VVS

Banned
My 2 cents...I don't take ANYTHING personal on this board from people I've never met or never will in person. I do think we should vote on banning members from certain activities instead of one person deciding his fate. Who knows? Maybe we all feel the same way and find him entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.