Beat This! - May 20-21, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but these ain't commercially released tracks.

I feel it's a bit harsh judging some people on mixing and mastering capability, as it's a beat battle, not a mixing & mastering critique.

Even mix and master engineers revere and respect eachother because they're different disciplines.Even further from that is beat making/composition.

So like i said, if your beat is dope, it's dope - i don't care if your reverb is 0.5db too loud.
the way a beat is mixed is always a factor in the voting, its a technical factor and all these factors should be taken into consideration when voting, a good or bad mix can be the deciding factor between two beats that there is nothing else to decide between them.

Ultimately in the real world in practice, people know what they like and they will vote for that, a lot of the technical stuff can be forgotten. If its that dope its that dope.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
the way a beat is mixed is always a factor in the voting, its a technical factor and all these factors should be taken into consideration when voting, a good or bad mix can be the deciding factor between two beats that there is nothing else to decide between them.

Yes, all skill should be taken into account I think.

It gives me an idea now. I don't know if it is possible and if it is then it's probably a lot to implement, @Fade.
What if there was a section (I don't know if it could be better as a kind of showcase or a kind of battle...) where people give feedback as a "radar chart" kind. With criteria such as mixing technique, creativity, dopeness, originality, melody, drums... you name it.

Well it doesn't really need to be a radar chart but it'd be cool like a 1vs1 battle where the result appears like this (averaging all the votes):
radar chart.png

Then it would be quicker than reviewing beats with text feedback. It would make things easier to compare and for one to see his own improvement or what was lacking to his beat to take the win.
In the showcase I read feedback such as "your beat is dope but your bassline is kinda boring". Ok, but how dope ? 7 or 9 ?
Plus, it would be easier to give honest feedback without hurting feelings. Because we all started somewhere and we can all improve but this could be a useful tool to know what we need to work on. What is our strengths and weaknesses. Know oneself better is the best way to improve...

But mostly like I said, it'd be cool... or am I just a math freak now ?

Yes, all skill should be taken into account I think.

It gives me an idea now. I don't know if it is possible and if it is then it's probably a lot to implement, @Fade.
What if there was a section (I don't know if it could be better as a kind of showcase or a kind of battle...) where people give feedback as a "radar chart" kind. With criteria such as mixing technique, creativity, dopeness, originality, melody, drums... you name it.

Well it doesn't really need to be a radar chart but it'd be cool like a 1vs1 battle where the result appears like this (averaging all the votes):
View attachment 5424

Then it would be quicker than reviewing beats with text feedback. It would make things easier to compare and for one to see his own improvement or what was lacking to his beat to take the win.
In the showcase I read feedback such as "your beat is dope but your bassline is kinda boring". Ok, but how dope ? 7 or 9 ?
Plus, it would be easier to give honest feedback without hurting feelings. Because we all started somewhere and we can all improve but this could be a useful tool to know what we need to work on. What is our strengths and weaknesses. Know oneself better is the best way to improve...

But mostly like I said, it'd be cool... or am I just a math freak now ?
sounds like a good way to give feedback on specifics, but implementing it could be a mathematical or programming nightmare for fade.

sounds like a good way to give feedback on specifics, but implementing it could be a mathematical or programming nightmare for fade.
maybe sliders from 1 to 10 for a specific aspect, like originality, technical quality and mix quality, break it down. Could be a good way to decide battles too, just means more work hahahahaha, fade doesnt like more work

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
I'm pretty sure I know which beat has won tho. It's not the one I'm voting for tho.

There are 2 I'm torn between; one really appeals to me and my vibe, the other I really dig its originality and what the producer is trying to do.

There is a couple I really like, but aren't what im looking for. And a couple that keep me "locked in".

^keeping that vague so as not to give clues/influence. I'll likely drop which/why after results, incase it gives any of the producers a boost/insight.

hello from Manchester England ;) I hope you all used your votes wisely!

Props to the guy who made a beat that could be mistaken for RZA, that shit was tight!! Ended up voting for a really strange one with an off key flute but now i'm thinking it was too quirky-Do you know the one i mean? Spanish guitar->flute->string fade->electronic strings:shit was crazy :)

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
RE the mix/master argument... I'ma keep brief I don't wanna derail or go back n forth too much,

Beatmaker/producer, mixing and mastering. They're worlds apart. Should I be voting for who i think is the best mix engineer?? Or who makes the "loudest" beat? Or what I think is the best beatmaker/beat of this round??

Reality, most producers/beatmakers shit is mixed by someone else, and mastered by someone else. And if you had a big release, so would yours.

I'm not discrediting mixing/mastering - sick skill to have, I wish I was a master of that shit myself. But know what you're here for.

Peace/Love :bomb::fire:

Enemy Sounds

Boom Bapper
Battle Points: 68
we are all learning here and are all at different stages of our production journeys, we have to allow for the fact that not everybody is an elite beatmaker/producer...yet. Oh but one day they could very well be. Taking losses is an important part in our growth and getting our egos in check and keep us grounded

I couldn't agree more! :up2: I don't want anyone here to think "the new guy" is trying to play them - believe me, I'm not. I got respect for ALL producers, even if it's not a sound that fits me. I would never hate on the next man who decided he wanted to become a producer because that's the same thing I did when I started as well :).. I give EVERYONE props who submitted.. Its kind of nerve racking to know you're gonna be going up against other producers....but that's also what makes it fun! And besides - this is Hip Hop - it was built on trying to be the best one out of your peers who do the same thing you do, just like an emcee would... Just my two cents :).. Again though - it's all love!

RE the mix/master argument... I'ma keep brief I don't wanna derail or go back n forth too much,

Beatmaker/producer, mixing and mastering. They're worlds apart. Should I be voting for who i think is the best mix engineer?? Or who makes the "loudest" beat? Or what I think is the best beatmaker/beat of this round??

Reality, most producers/beatmakers shit is mixed by someone else, and mastered by someone else. And if you had a big release, so would yours.

I'm not discrediting mixing/mastering - sick skill to have, I wish I was a master of that shit myself. But know what you're here for.

Peace/Love :bomb::fire:
"You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness! " - In every beat this post at the very beginning.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
"originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness! "

This is where my votes go.

Placing significance on 3 out of 4 is pretty fair I'd say?

From the sounds of it most people are voting purely on mixing skills? It's like saying anyone who's not producing out of a professional standard studio shouldn't bother entering.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just vote for the beat that sounds the best to you, period. That should include mixing as well, meaning that it's not some garbled mess that is too loud, too quiet, too compressed, too legit to quit, etc.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.

From the sounds of it most people are voting purely on mixing skills? It's like saying anyone who's not producing out of a professional standard studio shouldn't bother entering.
LOL so you just skip the mixing part. Why? It literally says mixing skills is in the criteria.

at the end of the day everybody votes however the fuck they like, thats where the subjective part comes into it. But the guidelines are there, I as a producer who would like to one day have the full package every one of those aspects matter to me personally. We are all different and each to their own, it is what it is. The real world. And Im producing out of my single room with headphones, an interface and a midi controller. Its not what you have, its how you use it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
LOL so you just skip the mixing part. Why? It literally says mixing skills is in the criteria.

For me it's more of a balance.

75% "overall dopeness" - I'm either feeling it or I ain't.
Then I use the next things to help me decide between 'em.
15% Creativity & Originality
10% Mix

It's not as linear as that, initially it's just "overall dopeness". Which is an organic result of all those parts.
But when I get like a "shortlist", I then address it more clinically...
"am i feeling one more than the other? no: which is more creative, original or interesting? Which "sounds" more well rounded?

Is this good or bad / allowed process?

I listen to all beats on headphones first, then move to studio monitors.

I'm just trying to be honest & fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online