Beat This! - May 20-21, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 33
Wow I like to see my beat in this list !
I appreciate your feedback, dude

Ok, so here's my feedback on yours :
First of all, it is not shit...

Now seriously.
As you mentionned it is all very subjective and I am not judging the piece of music you made, I am giving you the reasons why your beat did not get my vote in the context of this beat battle.

The tempo is too fast for me. A simple thing would be just slowing it down.

Then the way your drums are mixed in make it almost not a hip-hop beat. I mean I can hardly picture a rapper toplining your beat.
I would put all the melodic parts more in the background and keep the beat more "in your face" specially the kick. To some extent, it sounds almost like rock drums.

Yes the melodic parts are good and I understand why you want them all to be heard... I'm always guilty of that myself. But I would advise to keep only one "lead" close (just behind the drums) and the rest way back, burried. For instance, in that beat your piano could be the lead.

And, I would use no/less reverb on almost everything except the stuff you want burried in the background.

I feel awkward giving mixing advice with that shitty beat I made... But I guess that's my most honest opinion.
Fucking thanks man. Tempo sticks though. that's my flow. haha. i already got this thank written to.

So, drums are too quiet. hmm. I'm feeling that. It's funny you mention rock drums... I've always leaned in that direction.
I think the other comments are very good. It's true. I love every piece I put in and struggle focusing on one thing.. which leads to a muddy mix. I try really hard to give space to everything and maybe it's just not possilbe. Maybe I need to not try to make everything heard. Great point. Thank so MUCH.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 33
yea but you did double time dude :D Regular time 190 is slower than double time 110. we both know that, u just like fast drums, admit it :D
Did I? Hmm. I guess the hats are mostly 16th notes.. so yeah. Prolly gives it that vibe. And yes. I do love fast drums. :)

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
@YannFer that sounds pretty "Not bad". Did you sample that? If you didn't that's really awesome. cuz it sounds really realistic. but If there's one feedback, I'd say make the verse less ... shouting, you know? I said this too many times. verses should leave space for the rapper. that's like ... one of the basics. unless it's a really ... Really weird scenario or you have brilliant mixing skills so you can fit the rapper in. btw thanks for havin my back, you really clarified what I really meant. the last battles were just much better.

Thanks @ArvinArmani for the feedback.

Yes I haven't had time to properly "mix" this. And here I mean "take the decision of what needs to be thrown out"...

It's not a sample per say... I did it with many sampled instruments plus one of my experimentation was to make my own instrument sampling a chinese children choir from a youtube video... which sounds not too bad but it's from an amateur video in a noisy environnement so all my editing did not take all the noise down. So it could have benefitted a proper mixing step.

I agree there's not much space left for a rapper there, but as there is no rapper and I'm playing my loop for hours, I get bored of it so I always feel like adding stuff to keep it interesting.

P.S. just a clarification. I was the same cocky motherfucker before winning battles too. remember the last battle that or any showcase that I've ever been in? it's not a winning effect, it's just that I'm an asshole in general. But a Constructive asshole ;)
you have been a cocky arsehole since I came back, thats why I like you. And I know you do it with good intentions

Thanks @ArvinArmani for the feedback.

Yes I haven't had time to properly "mix" this. And here I mean "take the decision of what needs to be thrown out"...

It's not a sample per say... I did it with many sampled instruments plus one of my experimentation was to make my own instrument sampling a chinese children choir from a youtube video... which sounds not too bad but it's from an amateur video in a noisy environnement so all my editing did not take all the noise down. So it could have benefitted a proper mixing step.

I agree there's not much space left for a rapper there, but as there is no rapper and I'm playing my loop for hours, I get bored of it so I always feel like adding stuff to keep it interesting.
Viral Beatmaking huh? too bored to pay attention :D

You just have to be open minded, in my opinion there are no wack beats just beat I or someone else may not like, and by approaching it the way you did, is more like trolling then anything, trying to get a rise out of someone, so if it's not positive or helpful, I would keep it to myself✌
Bro there ain't no hard feelins. You actually beat my ass at the last warzone and your beat was pretty. (I f'd with ur 3rd round beat more tho, just sayin). you have bad days and good days. this was just one of your really bad days. that's all. just keep workin an you'll learn stuff throughout time, like we all do.

Beatmaker88

Battle Points: 24
Bro there ain't no hard feelins. You actually beat my ass at the last warzone and your beat was pretty. (I f'd with ur 3rd round beat more tho, just sayin). you have bad days and good days. this was just one of your really bad days. that's all. just keep workin an you'll learn stuff throughout time, like we all do.
[/QUOTE
No hard feelings, this is y'all's site I'm just a participant, wasn't expecting to win, I was just saying some of these guys criticize
When they still have a lot of work to do themselves, I enter these competitions to get my sound heard I can care less for the win.

Woooow :D Congrats to you @crog85 and thank you very much for kind words. Also I would like to say thank you to @Bugsy :D I appreciate it man and you don't know how much I'm happy to see you again here :)

I would also like to give props to runner-ups.

@StoneLockProd I mentioned it before somewhere. I'm not focusing on presenting beats for rappers here, as last two times I won with let's say "my style" beats. I am very glad that you guys know that you're listening to my beat and this is entirely my purpose :D We can't use voice tags but you can't deny someone's style and I'm very happy to see that nobody else makes beats like mine here. You are right that I could make a few beats out of the one I submitted to this battle. But this is my purpose. You know, when it comes to my recent beats I know what I want to do with them and I already told it @2GooD Productions that for the first time in my life I know what I want to do musically. :D It's a beautiful feeling when you sit to your DAW and you know what you wanna do, how you wanna do it and how you wanna mix it. I'm still trying to shape it in a better way. I'm still improving myself and I still learn. But I can honestly say I'm very very close to that. Also the structure of my beats as well as their mix is the result of my inspirations. You know, when I joined Illmuzik I was making typical beats for rappers which I still do as I'm collaborating with a few local artists. I know how to make beats for rappers but beats that I'm submitting to battles here ARE NOT MEANT FOR RAPPERS. :D It's impossible to rap on such thing and I'm well aware of that. This is because I try to experiment with dubstep, with EDM, and with many other things. I mix styles. I would say that my style is sort of musical MMA. :D Once again, these beats ARE NOT FOR RAPPERS. :D Actually, it's a good title for an album :D "These Beats Are Not For Rappers" hahahaha Maybe I should make such an album? :) Anyway thanks for feedback. :)

@ArvinArmani Honestly speaking, I have no idea what are you referring to. What chill side? If you think that my style in battles was chill then probably you mistook me for someone else. XDDDD And frankly, I don't care. I'm very happy with my submission and with this "memento style" as you all want to call it. So better be prepared for more "shouting" ... smh...

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
Woooow :D Congrats to you @crog85 and thank you very much for kind words. Also I would like to say thank you to @Bugsy :D I appreciate it man and you don't know how much I'm happy to see you again here :)

@StoneLockProd I mentioned it before somewhere. I'm not focusing on presenting beats for rappers here, as last two times I won with let's say "my style" beats. I am very glad that you guys know that you're listening to my beat and this is entirely my purpose :D We can't use voice tags but you can't deny someone's style and I'm very happy to see that nobody else makes beats like mine here. You are right that I could make a few beats out of the one I submitted to this battle. But this is my purpose. You know, when it comes to my recent beats I know what I want to do with them and I already told it @2GooD Productions that for the first time in my life I know what I want to do musically. :D It's a beautiful feeling when you sit to your DAW and you know what you wanna do, how you wanna do it and how you wanna mix it. I'm still trying to shape it in a better way. I'm still improving myself and I still learn. But I can honestly say I'm very very close to that. Also the structure of my beats as well as their mix is the result of my inspirations. You know, when I joined Illmuzik I was making typical beats for rappers which I still do as I'm collaborating with a few local artists. I know how to make beats for rappers but beats that I'm submitting to battles here ARE NOT MEANT FOR RAPPERS. :D It's impossible to rap on such thing and I'm well aware of that. This is because I try to experiment with dubstep, with EDM, and with many other things. I mix styles. I would say that my style is sort of musical MMA. :D Once again, these beats ARE NOT FOR RAPPERS. :D Actually, it's a good title for an album :D "These Beats Are Not For Rappers" hahahaha Maybe I should make such an album? :) Anyway thanks for feedback. :)

@ArvinArmani Honestly speaking, I have no idea what are you referring to. What chill side? If you think that my style in battles was chill then probably you mistook me for someone else. XDDDD And frankly, I don't care. I'm very happy with my submission and with this "memento style" as you all want to call it. So better be prepared for more "shouting" ... smh...
Definitely your beats are not for rappers...when i listen to them i always imagine sport event of some kind, like car race or mma... :) so you can think about composing for sync libraries or smt like that...mixing wise everything sounds well mixed but i think you can use compression/limiting little more lightly, that shit is loud, i always have to turn down my volume to 10% for you beat.

Beatmaker88

Battle Points: 24
I like how you low key said my beat was trash too, smooth..."one of your really bad days". You guys are something else.

It's just that If all beatmakers have an angry side and a sad side, I feel like you're always angry :D . Just sayin that your beats sound better when you ain't yelling dude. so I'ma just sit and wait for the day you find your chill pills or something idk :D

I like how you low key said my beat was trash too, smooth..."one of your really bad days". You guys are something else.
dude you're talkin like I'm part of this huge illmuzik corporation or some shit. I'm not even a mod. fade can kick my ass outta the place any day lol.

@Beatmaker88 I'm just like you man. I'm here to get heard and see how good I am, just like you. in fact I really appreciate it if people shit on my beats more. some people are probably afraid to run beatmakers off or be doucheknobs or something, so they get too nice when it comes to feedback. I mean yea, Of course my synth sounds good, of course the drums are workin, I busted my ass to make those, ok. so what is it that isn't working? why didn't I win? if everythin sounds so good then why does my beat suck? get my point? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.