Week of April 24, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
sup RaO large,

listenin now.. This is cool I see what you're doin with it, its nice. Chops are clean, a lil repetitive but the arrangement itself is cool and works. Might be worth expanding on it a bit, like adding an intro, or a breakdown for lyrics or build up for a chorus. Maybe some drum change ups too. Maybe mess with the reverse sample part and work that into the main part, that'd be dope. Just ideas though, cool stuff man. Drums were cool too, could hit a lil harder to get really solid foundation. Its cool how it is though, keep doing you man.

AB
what up man. I like that guitar part. this is pretty sick actually i like how it all built up into itself. Its got a slight club feel at first an then it breaks into somethin else. Feelin the drums and the overall sample usage. Those keys are sick. Damn yo!! this shit is evolving on me lol. That bassline is dope, same with that synth thing panned left. Good mix of instruments and instrumentation in general, love how it all just builds up into a huge thing when it started off with that lil guitar sample.

RaO large

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks 5th. just startin out and any feed back pos. or neg. is always appricated.

Yo AB! that shit was nice! heat!

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
More Reviews

AB: You went left field with this shit. I really wasn't expecting what you did to the sample. I'm really feeling the elements. The Drums are kinda spaced but that shit worked. Good Work. Keep it up.

Rao: Appreciat the feedback Fam. Your shit was tight also. 5Th pretty much said everything I wanted to say about your track (about the arrangement and all). I probably would have flipped that reverse bar 7 and 8. Good shit overall though!

5th: You mutha@%&! That shit was Monsterous! Your chops were DownSyndrome Retarded. Shits perfect in my eyes. Don't change a thing about this shit! Keep it up fam.

Graf: This shit is sooo sinister. Like driving in the winter about to perform a heist. you painted a picture with this one. Dark but effective. Good shit!

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
more reviews:

lilhatedon: hm. at first i wasn't feelin the way you had your cuts. like, at the 10-20 second mark. it just sounds too chaotic. then at 25 it evens out, that's better. feels a little empty. the percussion is way in the front of the piece without anything really supporting it. ok, at the 1 minute mark that's better. now you've got some real sound to go with the drums. everything was just too soft in comparison. once you hit that 1 minute mark it's much better and i'm feelin that more. yeah, those cuts are much cleaner and nicer sounding. between 1 minute and 1:20 i'm feelin. the levels on the first minute need some adjusting and the cuts in the beginning don't seem to flow so smooth.

dmx: ok, these cuts are aight. i dunno how i feel about the constant brushes you have going on in the background. i feel like the guitaris a little too chopped almost. doesn't run so smooth. you've got a lot of short and quicker guitar slices which i don't like as much, but that's just personal preference really. the bassline works and the percussions fine too. i'm just not feeling all of your slice and arrangement choices. can't explain why really.

subconcious: the percussion is nice. i'm really diggin your drums. i think the guitar is too chopped again. doesn't flow as smoothly as i'd like. the bass is fine, but maybe raise the attack time a little. overall it's aight, i'm just not feelin the guitar cuts.

ok, class time. i'll finish later

AKManilla

ill o.g.
Grafik- Would luv to flip this sample homie! But i have been stuck at work and cant download the sample, could u leave it up on your page so I can download it in the next couple days when i finally get a chance at home! Then I can flip it and post it up! Thanks in advance playa!

And I cant wait to hear all the flips, dont have sound on this work pc! But from thereviews it sounds like the ill shit!

Peace!

www.soundclick.com/akfortopwiseproductions

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
i hear what u sayin spinz simple fact is i don't mix the stuff down dats y the levels are up and down i save mixes for when the lyrics are added

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
more reviews...again:

Grafik: nice slice choices. that's real smooth. i'm feelin what you got but i think it maybe needs a little more. change it up a little after one of the "if i could"s. mix another slice in, or just write your own melody. i dig what you got so far, just needs like, 1 more part to it or somethin for a little variation.

5th sequence: lots of variation which i like. not a boring moment. the bassline is good. fits real well with the samples. got some nice cuts in there. i am definitely feelin the guitar part, but not the piano part, at least, i think it's a piano. i guess it could be a bell of some sort. but i feel like the bell doesn't fit with the rest of the instruments. the arrangement is fine, but i would have chosen a different instrument i think. i'm diggin everything else though. good shit.

Rao large: got a little different vibe on this one. i dunno. i'm kinda on the fence. it definitely gets a little repetitive and needs some change-ups somewhere. i think the guitar cuts have potential, but am not feeling the bell or piano. whichever that is. can't tell from the sample.

AB: nice little guitar riff to start. i'm diggin that. i like everything except that little synth stab or whatever it is. sounds like it might even be some filtered brass. i'm diggin the piano and the guitar parts. the drums are really chill and fit in real nicely, although i might have chosen a different kick sound. or maybe layer another kick on top. the bass fits nicely too. i just don't like that brassy sound. it doesn't seem to mesh with the other instrument sounds you have. i like the changeup you've got going on. that string line is hot. and whatever that kind of waverying sound is fits really nicely in there. i'd just change the instrument for that other sound or drop it out entirely. it doesn't fit with the rest of what you've got, which i'm really diggin. the changeup is pretty slick. except those congos need a pitch change. the conga pitch clashes with the rest of what's there. that brass sound and the conga pitch are really the only 2 complaints i have. but like, between the 3 minute mark and 3:20 that's some sick shit you got. yea, that brass that comes in at 3:20 just doens't fit with the rest. you could just drop it entirely and it'd still be hot. or replace it with something if you want.

Rumixx: back for more eh? i like the sax sample. but i don't think it works with all the other stuff you've got going on. the sax has a certain kinda upbeat sound but the rest of the piece doesn't really have that overall tone so it doesn't fit. at least, not to my ear anyway. keep at it. honestly, if you took all the guitar slices you had from the first piece and combined them with that sax that you have in the second you might be able to make a pretty sweet piece because they give off the same vibe kinda. i dunno, you'd have to see what you can do.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
tricky spinz said:
Rumixx: back for more eh? i like the sax sample. but i don't think it works with all the other stuff you've got going on. the sax has a certain kinda upbeat sound but the rest of the piece doesn't really have that overall tone so it doesn't fit. at least, not to my ear anyway. keep at it. honestly, if you took all the guitar slices you had from the first piece and combined them with that sax that you have in the second you might be able to make a pretty sweet piece because they give off the same vibe kinda. i dunno, you'd have to see what you can do.

Yeah, I just don't know when to quit. <Grin> Man, thanks for the tip, I'm not going to give up on this yet. I'm going to try combining the sax with the guitar sample from the other and see what's doin. Still new to this and trying to develop that sense of finding great sounds that compliment each other. Appreciate the feedback.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
more reviews..............

5th sequence: wow! this shit is gangsta, u keep bringin that premo sounding shit, the chops are rediculous in this joint, everything flows really smooth, and the drums are really tight too, really nice flip homie!!!!!!!!

rao large: this joint is tight man, the chops are on point and i like teh piece of the track that u picked, and the drums are tight, i think bring them up a little bit, but i like teh bass also, good job man, def feelin it

AB: damn this shit is hot man, i love the guitar that shit sounds really gutter, and the kick drum is knockin my shit, and teh i love the composition over the sample, and the progression is sick, u def killed the fuck out of this sample, nice flip man, keep grindin

ruimixx: shit is tight man, like the pieces used in this joint, and the drums def fit the track perfectly, maybe turn your snare up a little(turn them shits up, lol!) and your chops are on point man, wanted to hear more, but i know this is just the basics of the beat, good flip man, feelin it

i think i reviewed everyones flips so far, if not let me know and i will review it, there are tons of hot tracks this week, good job to everyone, havent heard a bad flip yet!

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Ruimixx.

Feelin what you did with the 2nd flip. This was cool, a lil hard 2 follow though cuz of the panning of the sax. It just seemed like a main element and should have been more central to me. My only thing really, i liked what it was for what it was!! nice reflip lol.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
tricky, cool you went with the 2nd mix.

This was cool how the pitch had some range on it with that sample you used. Good to hear. Wasnt feelin that kick drum at all though. Snare was cool and spaced nicely. The drum arrangement was good, but that kick i wasnt personally feelin. The arrangement in general was nice though, definitely got the middle eastern thing out of this somehow lol. Cool stuff man, laid back.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
oh yeah dude. i know, i'm not a fan of that fuckin kick either. but my roomie is sleepin so i'm using headphones which sucks. i don't even know what it really sounds like. my headphone kinda distort the levels sometimes. basically, i just threw that kick on at the end because i was having trouble finding anything i liked and it's late. i'll go back and fix it tomorrow. definitely liked the other mix better, but i had actually started this one first, stopped, started and finished the other one, and then came back to this. i'm definitely gonna take the other one and rework it into a full piece though cuz that shit came out pretty hot.

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
nice chops boneidle at first i was worried thought your intro was going to the the whole snippet lol i wanna here what it sounds like with a bass tho

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
im back in the mix:

Sub: whats sup yo, u took ur song down?

5th: i like the pieces used, especially when he says "yeaah!" the guitar pieces are nice... i dont know if u actually wanted the other oohs and ahhs hes makin, i wish they were longer, but that probably wouldve messed up the chops anyway. try to single them out, they sound like theyre at the end of other chops. i like the beat as well... good job with the string piece too.

Rao: i liked the trk as a whole, but that reverse at the end sounds like it shouldve been put into the whole mix as well... experiment with it.

AB: yo, i like that guitar... thats some cool shit right there... Busta's eatin this shit up in my head right now.... the piano is crazy, that extra sound effect is killin it... the bassline, i like how it built up... this one's ready yo. good fukkin job. damn, i thought i was done and u added some extra shit...lol... im not submittin my trk... game ova!

Ruimixx: this ur 2nd joint, now i know im late. i like the overall vibe on this, the horns sound cool, i like the delay on it, i like the deeb bassline, that vocal sound sounds eerilly cool... i think u should played with some drops. let it go a lil longer, but good job.

Tricky: yo... that shit is tight... u guys makin harder to submit shit...lol... i like that... i dont know if u changed the kick drum, but i love that rumblin shit... it sounds like its made for the trk. this is just about ret to go!

Bone: i like the volume build up... i think it needs some more chops involved, or a more instruments involved... its there though, but i think u gotta add a few more things.

Anyway, here's mine... nice n simple... 3 pieces used. NY n grimy

Ill Flip 9
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=507549

da relic

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
tricky spinz: yo the second joint is tight, i think the first one was better, but this def has some gritty indian feel to and love how u arranged the hats, you should drop some strings on top of this, that would be tight, but yeah this track is gangsta too, and they sound totally different, good second flip man, sounds tight

bone: it like the chops you got going on, i just think the chops need to be more precise, something is making it sound a little off, maybe switch up the drums or something, i just think an mc might have trouble spitting to this, but i do like it man, keep up the good work

slik da relic: this sounds tight man, the drums are def. sick as fuck, i would have liked to hear more of the sample chopped up not just that horn stab, but i do like when those strings come it too, i just think it is just too basic, i think it needs one more element, but what u have is sounding really tight, i think like a mos def would kill this track, good job man

Alright i cleaned up my first mix to this flip, and i was digging it so i expanded on it and made it complete, check out the final version of the beat

Title: My Illmuzik Flipped Beat

www.soundclick.com/grafik

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
boneidle
This is sick. Damn that intro is killer man, it builds it up for something serious!!. The drums in this are really nice too, it hits great. The chops in this are clear and and work great. The main melody is cool, i think its the drums that really make it sick though they go perfectly with the sample. That small delay part on part of the sample is a real nice touch. Sick work bro!

Slic da Relic
This was cool man, i totally see where this is going. I want to hear a fuller version of this, it feels quite empty. But that string swell is sick as fuck though, i love that sound. With the bass hit, it works nicely. That other instrument that comes in is tight too, but it still feels a lil thin in the instrumentation part itself. I think you could develop more of this using the same sample to get some sort of filler melody going on to fill it in and it'd come together like crazy!! If you go back to this, post the results i def. wanna hear it. Nice flip though, huge potential.

Grafik
ah sweetness, this intro is nice. that pause part with the delay is a real nice touch. It takes you out of the mix for a split second an then right back in. The change up part a lil before a minute isn't too bad, seemed a lil rough in the mix but it works well none the less. This is a real dark beat to me. Somethin about the slow tempo an the sounds themselves. an on some of the chops or transitions it like switches into a "peacefull" sounding beat an then back into the darkness lol. Cool stuff man, keep doin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.