Week of April 24, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
GRAFIK said:
tricky spinz: yo the second joint is tight, i think the first one was better, but this def has some gritty indian feel to and love how u arranged the hats, you should drop some strings on top of this, that would be tight, but yeah this track is gangsta too, and they sound totally different, good second flip man, sounds tight

yeah, i agree totally. the first one i submitted is definitely better. i'm actually gonna work more with that one and try to make it a full song and maybe toss an acapella on it.

REVIEWS:

boneidle: jesus christ man, you trying to blow out my speakers?? lol. this is mixed fuckin LOUD. i'd be surprised if you weren't getting clipping at these levels. definitely needs some more bass in there. wait, did you use both last weeks AND this weeks sample? i definitely heard starwars in there all of the sudden. lol, definitely wasn't expecting that. the arrangement is aight, but this needs some bass. definitely needs to drop a bassline in there. i like your cut choices so far but everythning is so high. you need some more low end. even your kick is pretty high pitched. i like what you've got, but you should bring the master level down a little cuz it's SO loud and drop some bass in there.

slik: gotta drop a bassline to go in there. it just feels too empty. not really feelin that part with the repeated quarter note stabs. you need somethin that's actually gonna carry the melody. the occasional chop/stabs you got going are fine. i like those actually. they just are not enough to carry the whole song. the percussion is workin too. but it needs something over it. i like what you've got minus those repeated quarter stabs and you need to add more to it.

grafik: final mix. aight, now this is some good shit. i'm feelin this. i'm diggin the guitar cuts. real smooth sound to it. i'd still like to hear a little more added to it cuz while i'm diggin what you got i think it could use a changeup either when the choruses drop or with the verses after the first. yknow, just toss somethin else in there to keep the interest up. also, for the ending just let that final guitar strum play out and fade. i think that'd make a hot ending.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Subconscious said:
nah, soundclick did. i guess its because i said it was a flip of an eddie kendricks sample in the description. I put it up my webspace just now.

http://www.badseedbeats.com/sampleflip-april24.m3u

really they took it down????????? i have never had that happen to me and all my tracks have samples in there, i hope soundclick doesnt get gay!

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
drmyndbender you kept the dusty record sound on this shit nice chops its different compared to how others flipped theres oh da track 1 is nice on your page

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
drmyndbender
This was cool. Intro was long, but it was need to really catch and acknowledge the groove of the samples. The drums are phat and dope!! glad to hear thick ass drums like this, it really defined the beat better than any other drums would have. Like you said, would be nice with a chorus or lyric part or some sort of change up, but its a cool general vibe man. Hope to see you in the rest of these flips!!

deStructuralize
this wasnt bad man. i'm feelin the ending part of the main melody before it all repeats. that guitar and voice part sounds good like that. I wasnt feelin the drums though, they really didnt fit the sample too me. The string addition is a nice touch to this. I think if this was redid with some more pristine drummage it'd be off the hook. An MC on this would really take it to another level as well. cool shit man, keep bringin it!

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
oooh shit. lol my bad i see what you're sayin. I was confused as hell until i scrolled up i never made that mental connection there were two different relics.

i'm editing it now.

lol... actually, the name is Slik dA Relic, "the livin fossil" u'll see that on my myspace, as soon as Ill Muzik lets me get 100 posts (i was at 80 and they took 30 away, so u figure by 2007 i should be at 99). anyway, i do feel my trk needs 1 or 2 elements... especially reverb on the kick, and prolly a bassline. thats why i brought up vocals on last week flips... its not hard to mask things when u got an ill MC on the trk... my man was killin this yesterday. but im gonna see what i can do to it... not sure if im gonna use another sample tho... i mite just make a new beat...nah mean.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=507549

da relic

ill o.g.
Thanks for the feedback, 5th. The drums do seem rather flimsy now that I listen to em again. Do you think the groove itself was okay, or that I should change that up as well? Other things I've noticed: it seems rather medium/high frequency heavy, do you guys think I should turn the bassline up? Also, if you listen to the drums they seem to drag a little bit at certain points even though they're locked on beat. For example, the kicks in the 4th and 4.5th beats of every fourth bar. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Maybe with a different hat pattern?

Reviews:
First off, props to Graf for hooking us up with the sample.

Knox: Nice melody. The static-sounding click between four bar phrases adds a nice touch. Really like how it breaks down at 0:50...the layering with the vocals is simply beautiful here. The intro seems rather long. The guitars are cut really nicely into the main melody as well. Awesome.

HD: This beat sounds like a good one to flow on, as exhibited by the Biggie acapella. Simple but effective chop, I like it. I like the soft vocals that come in, but the horns that follow seem to clash a bit with the rest of the track.

Ruimixx: Haha, those reversed drums kicked in and I was like "yeaaaah!" The vocal cuts near the end are a nice touch. I like the descending guitar notes but the ones that go down either every third or fourth bar (I can't tell, the ones that end lower) seem a bit off beat in the last two notes. Nice! I like your second flip a lot more.

Tricky: Very impressive. I like the DNB style drums that come in, and the vocals ("Can I") fit really well. Ayyy, the middle eastern "remix" is off the chain! My only comment is that the softer guitar in the first melody doesn't seem to fit and is a bit detracting.

LilHateDon: Interesting introduction. Hearing the vocals pitch shifted lower is refreshing. I'd add come up with a more pronounced hat pattern to give the rhythm a more distinct edge...the drums themselves do a good job of that though. Cool, reminded me of a DJ scratching vocal cuts.

DMX: Haha nice, I thought about using that rattling portion in my piece too. Interesting, but a bit too busy for my tastes. The longer I listen the more I get used to the chops and I can sort of hear a melody. Some of the guitar parts seem panned too far to either the left or right. I'd turn up the kick a bit.

Sub: Removed by the fascists of soundclick before I could get to it. :(. Oh wait, here it is. I like the way this was flipped, the bassline is dope. A hook or break would be nice, but I understand it's probably in its basic stages right now. I like the short/subtle drum roll that comes on intermittently also.

Grafik: Once again, very well executed mellow beat. The riff/vocal combination is infectious. I think a break or changeup somewhere in the song would make this complete.

5th Sequence: Funky, the strings are a really great touch. Not much I can really comment on, the chops were a bit active, but as a standalone instrumental track it's hot.

RaO Large: Kicks seem a bit too active in relation to the more laid back mood the chops present. Nice flip overall though, I think the way you put together the loop was good, sounded street but mellow.

AB (UG): Club joint for sure. Nice keys. I don't really like that squeaky noise at about 1:04, but I understand the effect you were trying to bring. 1:39's second layer of guitars is nice. This one's definitely fire. Good mixture of sampling and composition, that's what I like to hear.

Slik Da Relic: I would've liked to hear more of the sample integrated into the song, but it's clean as is. Not much else to really comment on, I would've liked to hear more dimensions brought to this though!

Boneidle: Ah, that's a loud mix. Haha, Star Wars was a nice addition. The chops seems a bit active, but it'd make a good interlude on a track somewhere. I'd look for some more instruments to put in the middle frequency range to balance things out.

drmynd: I'm not really hearing a distinct pattern of notes or melody, unfortunately...I'd push the kick volume up a bit also.

That's all, folks. Some real nice flips are up on here. I'm impressed; it's stuff like this that makes me want to push myself even harder.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Destruc...

I tried listenin for the offbeat or lagged drums but couldnt come up with it. It may drag a bit, but as long as it doesnt detract from the audio or rhythem anything goes and there are no rules!!

As far as arrangement goes, I personally think it works well once you compose around it after the 1min and 11 second mark. That part sounds sick no doubt, but the other parts of the arrangement dont seem too coherent. Like after the strings go away and its just the sample and drums.. it sounds very weak and plain sounding. May also be because there is no constant qaurter note hihat going on which leaves the drums bare and the rhythem based off the hits of the drums and chops of the sample.

More on the drums.... I dont remember if i already said this, but the kick and snare sound grimey as hell!! i love em, but that hihat comes in all clean and pristine out of nowhere. doesnt fit the sample or the drums at all.

That bridge part around 50 seconds or so wasnt that pleasant to listen to for some reason. Just didnt give a good vibe out, seemed crammed with noise and no room to breath. I'm jus giving a real blunt honest opinion and dissecting what i can out of it since you seem to want to know. Like i said before, this song has huge potential an you have a really good idea of where that potential lies. Listen to it yourself and be the judge as to whether or not it "smoothly flows" through out the whole beat through every section. If you ever have any doubt, fix those parts and fill it in until it sounds right.

ill o.g.
Good lookin' out on the details, fam! I understand what you mean about the drums vs the hats now. I'm gonna try and post up a second mix of the track sometime this week if possible after taking a look at the bridge and hats.

Something I've been experimenting with lately is the flow of tracks, i.e. starting out small and then growing big to a climactic moment (i.e. the 1:11 segment and onwards). The portion after the strings drop out was meant to be a dramatic shift to a restful state, but I can understand how the change could be considered too abrupt. I'll see how I can rework it.

I absolutely appreciate this sort of dissection, this will definitely help a lot. Thanks again.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Tricky Spinz - Shit sounds crazy mayne! I dig this better than the first one. I guess you changed the kick, because I thought it sounded perfect. Man, you killed this one.

5th Sequence - Yo 5th almost missed this one! This is straight fire. Got me head noddin' at work this morning. Smooth ass track. (as always) Good job man.

boneidle - Chops are cool but your drum game is tight . Ha! You threw in the star wars in there. Good flip, keep it up.

Slik dA Relic - Damn! As soon as I heard the drums begin, I knew this was going to phukkin jam! I like how you left room for an mc. Yeah, this is real tight. Not only can I imagine an MC rippin this, but also ski masks and pistol whippings. Lol!! Oh, and by the way I had 80 post and it knocked me down to 21 post! wtf??

deStructuralized - Ill flip man! Yeah, I like what you did with the vocals at :50. Your drum pattern fits real nice with the chops, really diggin that.

Good job fam, and thanks for the reviews on my shit.

D

drmyndbender

Slik dA Relic - Sounds pretty good. It sounds like the drums are a bit too loud.

5th Sequence - Ilike what you did with the vocals. Overall very good.

grafik - Nice as usual! You should throw a bassline in there.

Ruimixx - I like this one.I'm always a fan of the heavier drums. I would probably throw some more hat in there.

AB - I like the fact that you went with something uptempo. You freaked the guitar parts too. The chords you added really help.

boneidle - I couldn't figure this one out. The samples don't seem to match up with the drums.

dmz - Overall this one is good. Sounds like there's too much reverb on the drums though.

Thanks to everyone for the reviews. I appreciate all of the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online